Senior Government Relations Specialist, Public Policy
Supports and enhances effective Federal and State advocacy related to commercial insurance products, including employer sponsored insurance, specialty products, and Exchanges through strategic issue assessment, policy development and analysis, timely production of advocacy materials, thought leader development, and coalition building.
- Identifies the key policy issues and debates facing commercial insurance business; collaborates with business leaders to understand business priorities; develops, recommends, and gains approval of CVS Health policy positions on these issues (e.g., changes to the ACA, employer sponsored insurance issues, specialty insurance issues, mental health parity, preventive coverage, etc.)
- Develops and execute the Public Policy Plan for commercial insurance issues, including specialty products, employer sponsored insurance, specialty products, Exchanges, and other issues. This includes understanding the external environment and incorporating business priorities based on feedback from business leaders and Government Affairs colleagues to set priorities for position development and Federal and State advocacy material preparation, updating the plan for changing events as necessary.
- Summarizes and synthesizes business implications of legislative and regulatory proposals, communicates such to business leaders, and takes action to influence these developments consistent with CVS Health’s overall policy perspective.
- Drafts and obtains company approval on full range of advocacy materials for use with Federal and State legislators and regulators which effectively articulate rationale for CVS Health positions.
- Ability to work effectively and professionally with Federal and State regulators/lawmakers, such as HHS, CMS, Departments of Treasury and Labor, Congress other government officials with responsibility for overseeing the health insurance industry.
- Work effectively with, influence and mobilize policy positions of health care industry trade associations, coalitions of employers, consumers, other groups in support of CVS Health solutions.
- Synthesizes and utilizes up to date data and analyses supported by credible external thought leadership. Material to be produced include full range of policy papers; slide decks, issue briefs, and talking points, that are logical, analytical and well written for intended audience.
- Actively and strategically educates and develops strong working relationships with a set of external, credible thought leaders (Key Opinion Leaders) in think tanks and academic institutions who exert tangible thought leadership on key commercial insurance issues supporting market-based solutions to health reform and delivery.
- Regularly scans environment for emerging policy trends based on market, policy, and legislative proposals, developments, data and research from Congress, Administration, government advisory committees, and leading think thanks.
- Monitors and digests key reports and their implications from regular government and external groups, keeping an up to date “library” of key trends and relevant economic and policy data.
8-10 years of experience in either public policy and/or in a legislation or regulatory affairs arena related to health insurance issues.
Bachelor’s degree required; Graduate degree preferred.
Percent of Travel Required:
10 – 25%
Aetna is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer
Benefit eligibility may vary by position.
Candidate Privacy Information:
Aetna takes our candidate’s data privacy seriously. At no time will any Aetna recruiter or employee request any financial or personal information (Social Security Number, Credit card information for direct deposit, etc.) from you via e-mail. Any requests for information will be discussed prior and will be conducted through a secure website provided by the recruiter. Should you be asked for such information, please notify us immediately.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-03