Senior Grassroots Advocacy Manager
Join our team and be a part of one of the largest life science societies in the world.
With 30,000 members, including researchers, educators and health professionals, ASM advances the microbial sciences through conferences, publications, certifications and educational opportunities. It enhances laboratory capacity around the globe through training and resources. It provides a network for scientists in academia, industry and clinical settings. Additionally, ASM promotes a deeper understanding of the microbial sciences to diverse audiences.
We offer competitive salaries, top-notch benefits and liberal PTO.
- Employee pays $0 toward their own health insurance
- We contribute 10% of your salary to a 403(b) after 2 years of fulltime employment
- Holiday schedule includes the days between Christmas and New Year’s
Just to name a few benefits…
This position is responsible for developing and implementing an organizational grassroots strategy to engage ASM members on public policy issues that affect the microbial sciences. This position supports the goals of the department and the mission of ASM.
a. Leads and directs the development and implementation of an organization-wide multi-year grassroots advocacy strategy
- Develop a program to recruit, train and engage a cohort of member advocates.
- Collaborate with ASM departments (including but not limited to communications and membership) to identify opportunities to recruit member advocates.
- Oversee the drafting and dissemination of clear and compelling communications and materials to support and promote grassroots advocacy efforts.
b. Leads and directs development and expansion of online and offline advocacy capabilities to achieve a creative and innovative strategy that leverages ASM communications channels to engage member/advocates more effectively
- Oversee the development of materials for both online and in-person training opportunities.
- Work with departments across ASM to ensure proper social media, action alerts and other communications activities related to the organization’s advocacy objectives.
- Leverage existing ASM infrastructure (such as branch network) to provide advocacy and training materials in conjunction with local events.
c. Develops a system for tracking advocacy efforts, including a database of grassroots activities to allow for continuous assessment of grassroots and member engagement
- Ensure the development of activity metrics to be leveraged for engaging members in “higher level” advocacy activities and are captured in a manner that can be analyzed and shared with key internal stakeholders.
- Plan and execute advocacy engagement activities in conjunction with ASM-sponsored meetings.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required, policy-based graduate degree a plus
- Minimum 8-10 years of professional experience in policy or grassroots advocacy setting.
- Familiarity/experience with federal science policy and/or the grassroots advocacy work of a non-profit or association
- Experience working within health or scientific disciplines, knowledge of the federal appropriations process, and time spent with a professional society or other non-profit organization are strong pluses.
If you are ready for a real challenge and to make a real difference in science, apply for this unique position today. Please submit salary requirements, cover letter and resume to HR@asmusa.org.
Job posted: 2020-03-11