Senior Manager of Business Development & Government Relations
The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption (DTFA) is a national nonprofit public charity dedicated exclusively to finding permanent homes for the more than 150,000 children waiting in North America’s foster care systems. Created by Wendy’s® founder Dave Thomas who was adopted, the Foundation implements evidence-based, results-driven national service programs, foster care adoption awareness campaigns and innovative grantmaking.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
In concert with and under the leadership of the SVP of Business Development & Government Relations, the Senior Manager will assist with initiating, developing and nurturing relationships with public and private leaders, influencers, elected officials, affinity groups and decision makers in multiple states and jurisdictions to support scaling the Foundation’s signature program, Wendy’s Wonderful Kids (“WWK”).
1. Work in close collaboration with the SVP of Business Development & Government Relations to plan approaches, pitches and proposals that speak to the states’/DTFA’s shared needs and objectives in developing results-driven, goal-based WWK scaling agreements in targeted jurisdictions. Assist with ongoing management and stewardship of existing relationships in states where scaling is currently underway. Leverage relationships and partnerships to support achievement of results in scaling WWK as well as fiscal accountability among the relevant partners.
2. Work in partnership with the SVP of Business Development & Government Relations to help build an ecosystem within jurisdictions that sustains commitment to WWK by systematically partnering with and mobilizing state associations and community/collateral organizations.
3. Support coordination with state and county child welfare departments, government leaders and relevant organizations and agencies to help identify and structure partnerships related to scaling WWK.
4. Assist with identifying key political and nonprofit leaders and decision-makers in targeted states to advance productive relationships and an environment to support scaling of WWK. Identify new partnerships with influential mission-aligned organizations to support cultivation of relationships and build coalitions to support the core message of permanency and drive demand for WWK.
5. In concert with the DTFA marketing and communications team, assist in expanding local engagement, education, and advocacy through various approaches, by engaging prioritized audiences to position child-focused recruiting as the new standard by continuing and expanding efforts to elevate its visibility and importance among state and national child welfare leaders.
6. Develop a robust reporting system that reflects the status of business development activities and outcomes, supported by a customer relationship management (“CRM”) platform, that includes documenting the universe of individuals that DTFA will engage in each jurisdiction.
7. Assist with collecting information on child welfare policy, practice and funding trends that could impact DTFA scaling activities in the states; participate, as appropriate, in local/state/regional collaborations, networks and groups to build relationships and advance DTFA priorities and strategies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including comfort and experience with communicating with political, civic, and organizational leaders, staff and other stakeholders, such as nonprofit leaders and community members; experience in child welfare or child welfare policy is a plus
- Demonstrated success in building relationships and collaborations across diverse organizations and teams to successfully drive business and fiscal objectives; ideally would have experience in partnering with or working with government agencies or legislators
- Demonstrated experience in navigating relationships with multiple audiences, including legislative and government agency staff, coalitions and trade groups, nonprofits and cross-functional internal teams; track record for maintaining and deepening relationships with key stakeholders and partners
- Demonstrated experience working with a team along with strong internal and external collaboration skills; personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to the mission; innovative thinker with a devotion to excellence and achieving results
- Strong analytical and computer skills, including ability to monitor, assess and report results; experience with CRM technology like Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce or similar tools
- Flexible and able to multi-task; can work within a fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and goals while focusing on measurable outcomes
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 5+ years of experience in business development, government relations, finance and/or outcome-based program development or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Strong writing and editing abilities
- Experience and proficiency in communications technologies
- Public policy savvy and knowledge of government leadership
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- A self-directed, action driven, detail-oriented, and collaborative mindset
Domestic travel required
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-18