Senior Manager, Communications
VMLY&R is looking for a Senior Manager, Communications to join its Global and North America team. The role is based in New York, and responsible for leading external media relations and thought leadership with a focus on the agency’s east coast offices, including its flagship New York office. This role will also lend support to the wider communication & marketing team and global network.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced media relations professional with the ability to pitch and secure trade and business stories, working in close coordination with the agency’s wider reputational strategy, growth objectives and departmental needs. We are seeking an individual with strong thought leadership acumen, top notch editing and writing skills, and knowledge of the broader advertising industry and the emerging trends affecting it.
This role reports to the Global Director of Communications and Global CMO, and works closely with key stakeholders across the agency.
- Craft strong narratives in the press that position VMLY&R as an industry leader. Focus will be on VMLY&R’s east coast locations (New York, New Jersey, DC, Atlanta, Nashville, Miami).
- Lend support to NY flagship office, including executive visibility and promotion of its work and capabilities.
- Pitch and secure press for new business wins, key agency announcements, new talent/hires, and thought leadership aligned to the agency’s wider new business and reputational goals.
- Pitch and secure agency spokespeople within key speaking engagements and events.
- Maintain trusted, productive relationships with reporters as well as key publications for sponsorship and speaking opportunities.
- Develop thought leadership content for various placements including but not limited to published op eds, expert commentary, conference speaking engagements, agency hosted events, and more.
- Communicate regularly and collaborate with wider comms and marketing team to amplify news and content across VMLY&R’s owned channels (social, global newsletters, intranet, events, etc.) as well as WPP owned channels.
- Be informed on media landscape, editorial calendars, best industry practices, innovations, competitor activity, and other emerging opportunities.
- Identify, assess and execute on high-value sponsorship opportunities.
- Lead event programming – sponsored events, agency owned client events, conferences and more.
- Support global and regional events such as CCC client conference and Annual Meeting.
- Deliver timely reporting for quarterly marketing and communications reports to capture key results for external press and thought leadership.
- Comfortable and confident interacting with executive leadership and other key stakeholders.
As part of the WPP Group, VMLY&R offers one of the best overall compensation packages in the business.
Required Skills & Experience
- 5+ years related experience, preferably with a mid- to large size media agency or PR agency
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred academic focus in strategic communications, journalism, marketing, business).
- Advanced writing and communications skills; writing samples will be requested.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in leading a comprehensive media relations and thought leadership strategy that has achieved measurable results.
- Deep understanding of media relations, emerging platforms & opportunities. Open and comfortable with taking innovative approaches to communications.
- Ability to work collaboratively across global teams; comfortable interacting with senior leaders and executives
- Experience in navigating digital transformation or organizational change in a company
- Thorough knowledge and experience in the development of strategic communication strategies
- Entrepreneurial spirit with strong problem-solving and project management skills
- Detail-oriented and highly organized – able to manage speaker logistics seamlessly and professionally
- Outstanding editorial and storytelling skills
- Ability to lead, mentor, inspire others
- Ability to balance competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Confidence and capability to work closely with executive leadership
- Demonstrates grace under pressure and able to lead teams in a high-pressure, ever-changing environment.
VMLY&R is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-29