Senior Manager, Communications
The Senior Manager, Communications, reports to the Director, Communications and Publications.
Undergraduate degree in communications, journalism, English, or related field and a minimum of three years’ experience in communications, public relations, and/or media relations are required. Health/medical communications experience is preferred with emphasis on patient health information and published research in scientific, peer-reviewed journals. Comprehensive writing/editing and social media skills are required as is an ability to understand complex issues and translate them into effective strategic communications. Experience producing successful public relations campaigns is essential. Accountability, precision, accuracy, creativity, project management, and critical thinking are required as is the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in multiple business units, leadership, members, and all other stakeholders. Some travel required.
- Develop, execute, and evaluate strategic communications and public relations campaigns in collaboration with key stakeholders.
- Curate content, edit, contribute, and produce weekly e-newsletter, OTO News.
- Develop communications outreach plans to promote patient health information and ENThealth.org utilizing search engine optimization tools and digital strategies.
- Serve as lead contributor for social media content and collaborate with the social media team on continual expansion of social media presence.
- Create and implement coordinated communications strategy for the AAO-HNSF journals, Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery and OTO Open. Coordinate the development of articles related to the Academy’s health observance campaigns and other assigned topics for the Bulletin (monthly print/digital magazine).
- Manage media relations — fielding media requests for interviews, proactively seeking coverage of Academy and Foundation initiatives, providing support to the EVP/CEO and any other designated interviewees, developing professional connections with key medical and health reporters/editors, and managing news service and media database vendor accounts.
- Support the dissemination of clinical practice guidelines and other AAO-HNSF-published research to Academy members, related healthcare professionals, the media, and the public.
- Develop and execute media and social media plan to publicize the Annual Meeting and its scientific program and manage the Annual Meeting newsroom.
- Serve as a senior communications writer.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Media and Public Relations Committee, and other committees as assigned.
- Develop social media strategies for journals, ENThealth, and other programs and services.
- Coordinate content development, including graphics and messaging, for health observances.
- Write press releases and other communications materials for print and digital products and platforms.
- Maintain multiple, targeted media lists, and document media articles and references for reporting purposes.
- Produce media kits and primers for spokespersons as needed.
- Maintain select areas of the AAO-HNS/F websites with press-related materials, media and public outreach resource pages, health observance campaign content, patient information, and other areas as identified.
- Coordinate content development for the weekly e-newsletter, including vertification of ad sales and ad placement.
- Monitor the AAO-HNS member online discussion platform in consultation with communications team.
- May participate on an internal team, either through formal assignment, or on an ad hoc basis.
- Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either orally or in writing.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and salary expectations through one of the following options (applications without this information may not be considered).
Email: Attach a Word document or copy and paste your cover letter and resume.
Mail: AAO-HNSF, 1650 Diagonal Road, VA 22314-2857 Attention: Human Resources
Job posted: 2021-11-16