Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Manager, Corporate Communications
Cracker Barrel, our mission is Pleasing People. This is evident from the moment you walk through our doors, with the first smile that greets you, from the items in our retail store to the food on the table, we welcome you home! We have an exciting opportunity for someone to join our Corporate Communications team as a Senior Manager. If you have the gift of storytelling and a passion for corporate responsibility, this is the role for you!
This individual will promote and protect Cracker Barrel’s reputation by planning and executing communications projects and activities that influence external audiences, that support the growth of restaurant traffic and retail sales, and that enhance the company’s brand and reputation. Serve as company thought leader and expert on Giving Back including our new Food for Families program and as a Director on the Cracker Barrel Foundation board.
• Assimilate insights about Cracker Barrel’s brand and corporate reputation and formulate strategic communications plan to enhance Cracker Barrel’s reputation and drive sales for key Cracker Barrel initiatives in partnership with the VP, Marketing Communications.
• Partner with cross functional leaders including DEIB, Employer Brand, ESG, social media, crisis team, and event marketing to support brand- and reputation-enhancing programs.
• Develop and maintain relationship with PR agency, with particular focus on annual and quarterly objectives, KPIs, scope of work, and relationship building.
• Provide and facilitate media training for company leaders participating in interviews with media.
• Focus of this role is on proactive media relations and reputation-enhancing programs through frequent collaboration and occasional back-up for crisis communications leaders may be requested.
• Serve as company leader for Giving Back programs, including as primary relationship lead for Feeding America and as a Director on the Cracker Barrel Foundation board. Use insight and experience in CSR programs to set direction, expand existing programs, and where appropriate ensure positive impact to Cracker Barrel reputation.
• Manage and develop Communications Specialist whose focus is the execution of giving back and traditional media relations activities, including day-to-day interactions with our PR firm. This includes fielding urgent media inquiries via our media hotline both during and after regular business hours; reviewing media relations deliverables, providing feedback, and securing internal approvals; guiding and overseeing CSR executions; and general career development.
Experience and Education
• Bachelor’s degree in related field and 7-10 years’ experience in corporate communications, public relations and/or media position.
• Some combination of journalism, corporate social responsibility, crisis communications, and reputation management for a consumer brand is preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Expertise in social media standards and accepted practices.
• Excellent project management skills.
• Strong computer skills.
• Video production skills.
• Strong knowledge of working media needs and habit.
• Strong analytical and decision-making skills.
• Strong organizational and prioritizing skills.
• Interviewing skills.
• Detail oriented
NOTE: Racism, either overt or perpetuated through unconscious bias, has no place at Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, and both our Mission and People Promise are firmly rooted in the principle of valuing what everyone brings to the table. Our employees work hard to ensure that our brand, which is grounded in genuine hospitality and nostalgia, represents only what is good about those things. While our décor and food may harken back to earlier times, our inclusive culture and beliefs about equality and diversity do not.
Connect With Us!
Job posted: 2022-11-12