Senior Manager, Corporate Communications
Senior Manager, Corporate Communications
What’s it like to work at Illumina? It’s fast-paced. It’s challenging. It’s full of surprises. And we wouldn’t have it any other way.
Illumina is looking for a Senior Manager of Corporate Communications to join its communications business partner team. In this role, you will serve as a key communication partner to our Chief Technology Officer and our Senior Vice President of Global Quality & Operations. You will be responsible for managing internal and external leadership communications, developing global organizational communication strategies that align to our corporate strategic imperatives, and executing communication programs that reinforce Illumina’s mission-driven culture. The ideal candidate will be able to work cross-functionally in a highly-matrixed environment. Sounding good so far? Cool. Because here’s where it gets even more exciting.
The Corporate Communications organization is a super collaborative and creative team. Every day, we work to connect our global employees (now, almost 8,000) to our mission and our strategy. We can – and do – use every communication channel available. Long-form posts, short tweets, Facebook Workplace, videos, podcasts, blogs, and Town Halls.
Want to know about the culture? Of course, you do!
At Illumina, one of our core values is, “Move Fast and Embrace Change.” That means, the ideal candidate will be able to succeed in a fast-paced environment. Excellent writing skills, attention to detail, and the ability to remain calm in chaos, are critical skills. And, a passion for communications and supporting an organization committed to changing the world is a must. So, all you game changers, can do-ers, and trail blazers, apply within!
Role Responsibilities: A deep understanding of core communication fundamentals is a must:
- Work with executives to develop strategic platforms to communicate leadership’s vision and plans to a global internal and external audience.
- Responsible for managing internal and external leadership communications, developing global organizational communication strategies that align to our corporate strategic imperatives, and executing communication programs that reinforce Illumina’s mission-driven culture.
- Track and understand a range of complex projects, products, and partnerships and tell the story of our major initiatives, expertise and efforts in communications forums for the rest of the company.
- Oversee executive communications and thought leadership, working with various leaders to communicate Illumina’s vision and strategy, and using creative ways to build a strong and distinct team culture.
- Lead and build on regular internal channels such as All-Hands to help communicate strategy, direction and build create an internal comms program for key functions inside Illumina.
- Develop and manage communications plans in support of change management efforts, detailing key audience groups, deliverables, and deadlines.
- Develop relationships and providing strategic counsel and expertise to leaders and their teams on communications needs.
- Lead the development and execution of communication activities including high-quality written, video, and audio collateral (ie: plans, presentations, messaging, talking points, Q&As, web content, Town Halls, blogs, and more.)
- Write, review, revise, and edit content for a variety of audiences (non-technical and technical).
- Serve as a responsive, quality-focused trusted partner for communications needs throughout the company.
- Provide ongoing and meaningful measurement reports to determine communication effectiveness.
- Collaborate with the other Corporate Communications teams such as Integrated Communications, Public Relations, and Social Media, to provide comprehensive support for unified programs and initiatives.
Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations or a related field and a minimum of 8 years previous experience in a communications role or related field.
Experience must include:
- Working directly with a CEO, vice president or member of the executive leadership team in a communication capacity
- Experience writing, editing and proofreading technical information and translating scientific information into messages/communications that resonate
- Command of PowerPoint, social collaboration platforms, and content management systems
- Event planning and execution
- Video development and production
- Change communication (including reorganizations, crisis communications)
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated strengths in:
- Strategic, global thinking, planning, and decision making
- Confident, independent interactions with senior management
- Commitment to quality and attention to detail
- Responsiveness, multi-tasking and balancing customer demands while managing multiple deliverables/deadlines
- Ability to calmly respond to unexpected issues/priorities
- Excellent presentation and speaking skills
- Accountability for results
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you require accommodation to complete the application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-08