Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Manager of Design Strategy
Please submit applications using our careers portal HERE.
The Institute for Women’s Policy Research (IWPR) is the nation’s preeminent think tank committed to achieving economic equity for women and eliminating structural and institutional barriers to women’s full participation in the workforce and society. IWPR’s mission is to build knowledge and evidence to support policies that help grow women’s economic power and influence in society, close inequality gaps, and improve the economic security and well-being of girls, women, and families. We generate the ideas that build power and economic equity for all women.
Statement on Racial Equity and Intersectionality
At IWPR, we believe social and economic mobility in the United States is determined and influenced by race, ethnicity, class, gender identity, sexual orientation, and other markers of difference. In working to achieve economic equity and to better understand the experiences of all women in the workforce and in society, we use both racial equity and intersectional frameworks in our research and analysis to help generate strategies and solutions that are grounded in the economic realities of women and families. We also prioritize building an inclusive and welcoming work environment that values the diverse perspectives and experiences of all staff.
The Senior Manager of Design Strategy serves as the in-house graphic designer for IWPR’s digital platforms and print publications, strategic communications materials, and all creative assets. They work collaboratively to conceive and develop high-impact designs and products that support IWPR’s mission to unlock economic equity for all women.
A vital member of the Communications and External Affairs team, the Senior Manager of Design Strategy ensures all IWPR products—including digital assets, website, and publications—meet the highest quality standards while keeping on track with tight deadlines. They are an experienced graphic designer with a strong understanding of design theory and concepts—and a willingness to share their expertise to support colleagues. They also enjoy working in a fast-paced, high-impact environment. As part of a growing team, the Senior Manager of Design Strategy also serves as the chief brand champion, ensuring that every design product or digital output is in alignment with brand guidelines and standards. The Senior Manager of Design Strategy will also lead design for IWPR’s social media platforms and must be well-versed in the creative visualization of data, the creation of social media cards and infographics, and video/animated/multimedia digital content.
This position is full-time, exempt, and based in Washington, DC. The Senior Manager of Design Strategy reports to the Vice President, Communications & External Affairs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategy and Vision
- Lead on brand identity and visual design for the organization
- Maintain IWPR’s brand guide and ensure that final design products adhere to these requirements
- Ensure consistent application of style, typography, and other visual elements across mediums
- Maintain all materials, including website created by IWPR to ensure brand consistency and messaging best practices
- Ensure all outbound content reflects IWPR brand
Asset Development and Creation
- Create social media content, including infographics, flow charts, and graphics
- Format handouts, fact sheets, case studies, infographics, and other supporter-facing content
- Edit and format short videos
- Edit/format reports alongside IWPR’s research department
- Ability to translate research into to popular education tools and accessible infographics
- Conduct photo research and select feature images for IWPR publications, build and maintain IWPR photo gallery
- Develop additional graphics, PowerPoint presentations, and other on-brand visual materials as requested
- Work with communications and policy staff to manage content creation and production process and meet deadlines
- Work with digital strategy team to ensure timely delivery of all online content
- Manage multiple design projects at once ensuring production deadlines are met and content is delivered on time
- Collaborate with communications colleagues on overall strategic communications planning and design elements needed for plan execution
- Master’s degree and 3+ years of experience, or Bachelor’s degree in art, design, or a related field and 5+ years of professional experience in design, including publishing/print production and digital graphics
- Advanced skills in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator)
- Advanced skills in digital publishing platforms and systems (e.g., Canva, Webflow, WordPress)
- Working knowledge of HTML5, CSS, and relevant best practices a plus
- Experience in After Effects or Premiere Pro
- Experience creating and maintaining creative assets for social media accounts
- Knowledge of proper image usage rights and permissions, photo gallery curation.
- Strong time management skills and an ability to multitask
- Passion for IWPR’s mission
- Commitment to inclusive design principles
- Ability to understand the perspective and needs of different audiences and develop persuasive public-facing content to earn positive coverage of IWPR priority issues
- Excellent attention to detail, particularly in the creation and dissemination of public-facing materials
In addition to resume and cover letter, please submit portfolio and/or work samples. Portfolio/work samples may be uploaded with your resume and cover letter of uploaded to the “Documents” section of your applicant profile.
This position is classified as an Administrative III position in IWPR’s compensation program. The salary is $72,000 to $102,000 and will be commensurate with experience. To learn more about the IWPR compensation program and role structures, please click HERE. IWPR also offers a competitive benefits package. WPR also offers a generous benefits package.
Individuals from underrepresented groups encouraged to apply. IWPR is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Vaccine Policy: IWPR has made the safety of our staff and our surrounding community a top priority. As part of that commitment, IWPR recently implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy. This policy states that all IWPR employees, interns, fellows, (i.e.- IWPR staff) are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. IWPR will require selected candidates to submit proof of complete vaccination against COVID-19 prior to extending a job offer. If a candidate has a qualifying medical condition that contraindicates a Covid-19 vaccination, a medical exemption form should be requested from Human Resources.
Please submit applications using our careers portal HERE.
Job posted: 2021-12-26