Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Manager/Director, Global Communications
Statement of Needs
BSA | The Software Alliance is a global trade association that works at the forefront of technology policy issues like artificial intelligence, privacy, cybersecurity, and digital trade. BSA seeks a dynamic communications professional based in Brussels who can help distinguish BSA among government leaders, the media, and BSA member companies and prospects.
BSA is seeking a candidate with the ability to both think strategically about communications activities that can raise the profile and brand awareness of BSA and its key issues, and then execute upon identified tactics as part of a fast-moving, global communications and public affairs team based in Washington, DC, USA, and working in close conjunction with BSA’s strong policy team in Brussels.
This role is suited for experienced communications professionals and emerging public affairs leaders who think creatively about how to use a mixture of communications tactics to advance policy goals in EMEA, with a focus on Brussels, as well as France, Germany, and the UK. This candidate may be called upon at times to support communications activities in the APAC region as well.
Key functions of this role include writing and editing for advocacy and marketing purposes (press releases, educational materials, promotional emails, social media), strategic communications and public relations (interacting with media and building relationships with relevant reporters), PR firm management, and events management (including logistics, curating invitations, preparing relevant materials to execute, and coaching BSA spokespeople).
Applicants are required to hold a degree level or higher in political science, international affairs, communications, business, or related discipline, with a minimum of 6 to 8 years’ experience in a relevant environment. The ideal candidate will have experience working in policy and advocacy communications for a corporation or trade association, advocacy organization, think-tank, elected official, or at a media outlet. Experience in tech policy issues is an advantage, but not a requirement. An ideal candidate will have a good knowledge of the policymaking and legislative process in the EU, and a working understanding of US policymaking institutions.
Qualified candidates will have experience in issue-oriented communications strategies, including strong writing skills; a proven track record of pitching and securing top-tier press coverage; experience working with and/or managing PR agencies; and solid project management experience. Native or bilingual English proficiency required; fluency in additional European languages is helpful.
A demonstrated ability to work with a globally distributed team across time zones is an advantage; this position requires the ability to work asynchronously, and in coordination with member companies and internal stakeholders worldwide.
- Develop and implement BSA’s global communications strategy for EMEA in close collaboration with BSA’s Brussels policy team and colleagues in the organization’s Washington, DC headquarters.
- Craft and execute strategic communications activities and tactics to raise BSA’s profile as the premiere software industry thought leader and advocate for related policy issues space throughout EMEA.
- Serve as primary BSA communications point of contact for the EMEA region, responsible for strategic communications and media, editorial content, and other public affairs responsibilities.
- Secure consistent media coverage in Brussels and key EU countries for BSA and its initiatives through direct relationships with members of press, and via Brussels-based PR firm.
- Write and place compelling collateral materials (including but not limited to press releases, statements, speeches and talking points for BSA executives, blog posts, social media, and other advocacy materials).
- Manage BSA EMEA events program, including through the creation of BSA-led events, and placing BSA executives into third-party speaking opportunities, preparing talking points, and coaching them in advance to ensure an impactful appearance.
- Ensure message consistency and maximum exposure for BSA and its issues among media, members, and other stakeholders.
- Engage with BSA members – especially policy communicators within member companies – as well as third parties and industry organizations to develop relationships and enhance BSA’s influence in the region.
- Other requirements as requested.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the position title and location in your Subject Line.
Job posted: 2023-05-24