Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Manager/Director, Policy
BSA | The Software Alliance (www.bsa.org) is the leading advocate for the global software industry before governments and in the international marketplace. Its members are among the world’s most innovative companies, creating software solutions that spark the economy and improve modern life.
With headquarters in Washington, DC, and operations in more than 30 countries, BSA pioneers compliance programs that promote legal software use and advocates for public policies that foster technology innovation and drive growth in the digital economy.
BSA is currently seeking a Senior Manager or Director to support BSA’s global policy advocacy, including BSA’s work on state privacy legislation. The Senior Manager/Director will draft position papers, policy filings, and other collateral, primarily related to advocacy on privacy, cybersecurity, and data flows, as well as other issues as needed.
During state legislative sessions, the Senior Manager/Director will take an active role in leading BSA’s work on state privacy matters, including by tracking state privacy legislation, working collaborative with our legislative strategy team to engage with state lawmakers, and analysing proposals to understand their effect on BSA member companies. The Senior Manager/Director will also identify and drive the development and execution of public policy initiatives in other areas, representing BSA before policy makers and industry representatives. The Senior Manager/Director will also monitor cybersecurity issues, including implementation of cyber-related executive orders.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in policy development either in the United States and/or in other regions in which BSA is active. The Senior Manager/Director will work closely with the BSA global team, its members, and government officials throughout the world.
BSA is a collaborative work environment. The ideal candidate will be able to work well as a member of a team.
Professional Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required; law or other relevant graduate degree a plus.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent writing ability.
- Experience with privacy, AI, cybersecurity, or data flows a plus.
- Ability to conduct research independently.
- Ability to work collaboratively, effectively and transparently with others to develop plans, documents and achieve desired results.
- Ability to think and act strategically.
- Knowledge of the software industry a plus.
- Support the global policy team through research and drafting of position papers and filings in areas such as privacy, cybersecurity, data flows, and others as needed.
- Support BSA’s engagement on state privacy matters, including identifying and analyzing key issues in state privacy legislation, preparing related advocacy materials, and working with BSA’s legislative strategy team to engage with policymakers.
- Assist in the formulation of cybersecurity policy positions and advocacy at the federal and state levels.
- Identify and drive the development and execution of public policy initiatives in other areas, both domestic and international, as needed.
- Work with the global policy team to shape and influence activities of governments in key markets around the world regarding developments affecting the global software industry on relevant policy issues.
- Monitor domestic and international policy and industry developments.
- Represent BSA before government officials and at industry meetings.
- Communicate, coordinate and collaborate with BSA members, keeping them informed, engaged, and aligned.
- Work closely with BSA staff and consultants around the world.
About BSA Benefits:
BSA recognizes that benefits play an important role in your selection of an employer. We offer generous benefits including many unique benefits and perks to our employees in locations around the world and encourage everyone to live a healthy, balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include:
- Generous health, disability and life insurance
- Exceptional 401k plan employer contributions
- Year-end office shut down between Christmas and New Year’s
- Three weeks’ paid sabbatical every five years
- Generous paid maternity and bonding leave
- Emergency backup child care
- Health/Fitness and Financial/Tax Advice allowance
- Professional development, continuing education (including tuition reimbursement) and training
- Casual dress
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the position title and location in your Subject Line.
BSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity. We embrace and reflect diversity in our staff and seek skilled individuals who are motivated and passionate about the industry, our work and expansive community.
Thank you for your interest in career opportunities at BSA | The Software Alliance!
Job posted: 2022-07-19