Senior Manager, Energy & Environment, AWS Public Policy
Senior Manager, Energy & Environment Policy
Would you like to be part of a public policy team committed to building a sustainable business for our customers and the planet? In 2019 we co-founded The Climate Pledge, a commitment to be net zero carbon across our business by 2040, 10 years ahead of the Paris Agreement. At Amazon Web Services (AWS) we are on path to powering our infrastructure with 100% renewable energy by 2025. In addition, we support companies making their own green transition to low carbon operations and who rely on AWS as the leading provider of cloud computing services, providing IT infrastructure offerings such as on-demand compute capacity, storage, content delivery, database services and more. The AWS Public Policy team is at the forefront of helping customers maximize the benefits of cloud computing by removing regulatory blockers to cloud adoption and expanding the development of renewable resources.
AWS is looking for a talented, innovative, and well-connected individual to represent AWS before policymakers on energy and climate issues across the Americas in support of The Climate Pledge. The successful candidate will have a deep policy understanding of the energy industry, including climate change policy, renewable energy procurement policy, and FERC and state PUC proceedings. You will lead the development of AWS’ policy positions and advocacy strategy, then coordinate the team’s advocacy for these positions. This Washington, D.C.-based position will report to the Director, Regulated Industries, AWS Public Policy, and includes the following responsibilities:
· Develop and execute advocacy strategies that support energy policy.
· Engage relevant government agencies and public/private stakeholder groups on issues critical to AWS business in the energy industry. Work with internal and external stakeholders and experts to identify opportunities and risks arising from policy and regulatory development.
· Facilitate meetings between AWS and key stakeholders, including senior government officials, regulators, industry associations and alliance partners to promote AWS advocacy positions.
· Craft and contribute to policy submissions and engage in consultations with relevant regulators.
· Contribute to advocacy efforts within AWS including coordinating and developing public policy collateral such as policy position papers and talking points.
· Provide expert advice to internal business partners and assist them in developing their respective business strategies.
· Other duties as assigned.
This position will involve travel based on the business need.
· 10+ years of experience representing an energy company, working as a policymaker and/or regulator on energy issues, or representing an energy trade association.
· Bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in a relevant discipline (Law, Political Science, Public Policy, Energy, etc.).
· An advanced degree is preferred.
· Track record of conducting business according to the highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality and integrity.
· Self-starter with proven record of accomplishment of successfully working with a wide array of functional groups across an organization and cultures.
· Demonstrated ability to build and foster effective relationships and networks with others.
· History of working both independently and as part of a broader team with internal and external stakeholders as needed.
· Demonstrated examples of good judgment and thoughtful decision-making, and political acumen
· The successful candidate must be inquisitive, enthusiastic about energy policy, enjoy working hard and being continually challenged, and demonstrate sound judgment even in ambiguous situations. Other requirements include:
· Demonstrated expertise in policy research and strategy development, paired with a passion for innovative thinking about sustainability and energy.
· Demonstrated experience in written and oral communications, including and preparation of public speaking.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at highest corporate, federal, state and local government levels.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-24