Senior Manager, External Affairs Policy
Amazon Public Policy seeks a Senior Manager, External Affairs Policy to join our team in New York, NY. The person hired will create and own an external affairs strategy in support of Amazon being the most trusted business and community partner in the New York region. The candidate will serve as a key member of Amazon’s Public Policy team, supporting and driving engagement with local stakeholders, business organizations, and civic associations. This position will work in close collaboration and form robust relationships with internal business partners such as Amazon in the Community, Public Relations, Economic Development, and Global Real Estate & Facilities. In this role, they will engage with community and civic leaders, local opinion leaders, local government officials, and other hyper-local stakeholders to establish and foster relationships and partnerships in support of Amazon’s presence in the New York region. The person hired should feel just as comfortable speaking at a civic association meeting as they do speaking in front of a regional business group. The ideal candidate for this role will be a visible, involved, and engaged presence in the New York region, meeting people where they are in ways that are meaningful to customers, neighbors, and other local stakeholders. The candidate must have a proven track record of defining and moving initiatives form concept to completion. Finally, they must also be able to effectively measure success using traditional and non-traditional metrics.
This position will report to the Senior Manager, Public Policy and be based in New York City.
· Bachelor’s degree.
· 8-10 years of relevant experience in public policy, external affairs, economic development, or equivalent experience.
· JD or Advanced Degree preferred, law degree or advanced degree not strictly required but would be a strong plus.
· Experience developing and implementing external affairs or community development engagement plans.
· Experience with local public policy and engagement efforts and/or experience with local / municipal policymaking.
· Demonstrated ability to manage high-profile relationships with community partners and civic leaders.
· Prior experience with steep learning curves, and the ability to effectively communicate complex information to a wide variety of audiences.
· Highly effective oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills; demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at the highest corporate and political levels.
· Maintain highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity, with strongest professional reputation in the industry.
· Self-starter with proven track record of successfully working with a wide array of functional groups across organization and culture.
· Ability to understand how technical language in legislative and regulatory proposals could affect corporate operations, identify business implications, and synthesize policy documents for internal customers.
· Ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others is required. Must be flexible and demonstrate strong judgment/decision-making skills, and political acumen.
· Demonstrated ability to build and foster effective relationships and networks with others.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-08-31