Senior Manager – Government Affairs
About the job
SENIOR MANAGER – GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS
The Partnership for Public Service is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with a compelling mission: we are working to help make the federal government a more dynamic, innovative and effective servant of the American people, and we have a great team that helps make it happen.
Our staff is diverse in experience and perspective, but at our core, we share a lot of the same traits: we are mission-driven, creative, collaborative, optimistic and inclusive.
Our work is strategic, fast paced and guided by our values:
- Passion for public service and our work toward a more effective government
- People who promote a culture of learning, leadership, collaboration, inclusion and respect
- Persistence to drive change, take strategic risks and deliver results
- Promise to be trustworthy, nonpartisan and fiscally responsible
We hire smart and friendly people who are great at what they do and good to one another in the process.
The Partnership for Public Service is seeking a dedicated and experienced Senior Manager for its Government Affairs team. The Partnership’s Government Affairs team works to educate Congress on the challenges and opportunities facing the federal workforce, to identify and encourage changes to improve agency management and operations, and to promote better congressional oversight by strengthening relationships between the executive and legislative branches.
As a member of the Government Affairs team, the Senior Manager will advance legislative priorities related to civil service modernization, manage key legislative initiatives, develop and execute strategies for engaging Congress in the Partnership’s work, and serve as a subject-matter expert on laws and policies related to the federal workforce. The Senior Manager will lead the Partnership’s civil service modernization efforts and will, as needed, engage stakeholders and build relationships on Capitol Hill and with the administration.
The Senior Manager will also work with diverse stakeholders, including good government organizations, employee representative organizations, colleges and universities and the business community, to implement the Partnership’s policy recommendations related to the federal civil service. More generally, the Senior Manager will work with the team to help elevate the Partnership’s profile on Capitol Hill and with the executive branch.
The ideal candidate will be a strategic and detail-oriented professional with strong critical thinking, writing and interpersonal communication skills, advocacy experience, knowledge of federal workforce policy and cross-partisan relationships with policymakers.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the Partnership’s civil service modernization efforts, including developing and executing strategy, setting performance goals and objectives, achieving results and committing to continuous learning and improvement.
- Manage a portfolio of legislative topics related to Title 5 of the U.S Code and the federal workforce more generally.
- Initiate and/or respond to congressional requests for information and briefings.
- Write congressional testimony, blog posts, legislation, white papers, etc. to advance the Partnership’s policy and engagement objectives.
- Advise Partnership colleagues on ways to engage policymakers in our work and work effectively across Partnership teams (e.g., Communications, Development and Programs) to further organizational goals.
- Advance the Partnership’s mission, goals and profile by building and managing strategic relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including Members of Congress and congressional staff in personal offices, committees and caucuses, and key agency personnel responsible for workforce policies.
- Develop and monitor internal budget and planning materials and processes.
- Manage small numbers of junior staff and work collaboratively with staff at all levels.
- Desire and ability to work on a nonpartisan basis.
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience with legislative and oversight processes.
- Strong project management skills, follow-through, with demonstrated ability to work under pressure and manage various priorities and deadlines.
- Superior written and oral communications skills.
- Demonstrated political savviness and judgment.
- Ability to build and manage productive relationships with both internal and external stakeholders, including federal employees, Members of Congress and their staff, and executives.
- Consistent, sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Commitment to working collaboratively and communicating openly with colleagues.
- Commitment to seeking and engaging a diversity of perspectives and viewpoints.
- Passion for, and commitment to, public service, and an interest in the mission of the Partnership.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred, or equivalent professional work or military experience.
- Minimum eight years of experience in federal policymaking with demonstrated knowledge of federal workforce issues, including Title 5 of the U.S. Code and civil service modernization.
- Prior experience working collaboratively with multiple stakeholders and subject matter experts on federal policy issues required.
- Experience as a federal employee in the executive or legislative branches preferred.
- Demonstrated project management experience, including budgeting and fiscal management and ability to achieve desired results.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY/REPORTING STRUCTURE
This position will report to the Vice President of Government Affairs. The senior manager may directly or indirectly supervise interns, associates, associate managers and/or managers.
This job operates in a professional office environment in Washington, DC. This position requires consistent use of office equipment such as computer, telephone, printer and scanner. Please note that as a result of COVID-19, Partnership staff are currently working remotely.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time position with regular work hours Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Occasional evening or weekend activities may be required. Please note that as a result of COVID-19, the Partnership is allowing maximum flexibility in work schedules.
If travel occurs, it is usually during the business day. Some out of the area and/or overnight travel may occasionally be required.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The Partnership offers a compensation package that includes a competitive salary; medical, dental and vision coverage; life insurance; long- and short-term disability insurance; a 401(k) program with a 4 percent employer match; opportunities for training and development; 15 days of annual leave per year, 10 days of sick leave per year, plus all federal holidays and the day after Thanksgiving off; and use of an on-site exercise facility.
The Partnership is an inclusive organization that fosters learning, collaboration and respect. We actively recruit for diversity in our workplace, believing that a range of backgrounds, perspectives and experiences contributes to our mission of revitalizing government. The Partnership for Public Service is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any application for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability; or on any other basis prohibited by law.
Please visit the Partnership website at https://ourpublicservice.org/careers/ for links to the online employment application.
Job posted: 2021-07-17