Senior Manager of Government Affairs
Full name of organization: Society of Interventional Radiology
Job title: Senior Manager of Government Affairs
Location of the position: Fairfax, VA. All employees are temporarily working remotely at this time due to COVID.
The Senior Manager of Government Affairs reports to the Director of Government Affairs and collaborates with members of the SIR Government and Policy Affairs team to advance SIR’s federal legislative agenda, advocacy priorities, and applicable grassroots and political programs. The Senior Manager of Government Affairs implements all aspects of government affairs including identifying legislative opportunities, securing appropriations and advancing legislation and policies through bipartisan advocacy with members of Congress, congressional committees and relevant federal agencies. The Senior Manager is responsible for SIR’s grassroots advocacy program, the Voices of IR, to include training and mobilizing volunteers to support SIR’s state and federal advocacy initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages all aspects of a comprehensive federal government affairs program to lobby Congress and the Administration on major legislative and policy issues to include securing appropriations and passing legislation.
- Evaluates complex federal legislative and regulatory proposals to identify threats, opportunities and develops and implements creative solutions on issues impacting interventional radiologists.
- Identifies and nurtures congressional leaders and mobilizes them to introduce legislation, hold hearings and host congressional briefings on issues impacting interventional radiology.
- Crafts policy positions on a wide range of emerging issues to convey positions and influence policymakers including but not limited to issue briefs, analysis, testimony, social media and comments.
- Collaborates with all SIR and SIR Foundation departments to ensure cross-functional alignment across the organization on a wide range of issues and projects.
- Represents SIR in key coalitions of patients, clinicians, researchers and industry to identify new policy opportunities and build partnerships to achieve the organization’s mission and policy priorities.
- Prepares physician volunteers and attends the American Medical Association, American College of Radiology bi-annual meetings.
- Devises and manages campaigns to mobilize grassroots volunteers to influence policymaking at appropriate pressure points, including engaging, training and supporting individuals who have 1-1 interactions with members of Congress.
- Maintain and expand relevant internal databases to reflect legislative champions, SIR-supported legislation, physicians serving in federal posts.
- Identify new opportunities for SIR member engagement on the federal level to include building relationships with Congressional members and staff and attending legislative meetings and forums.
- Collaborates with public policy consultants on projects as directed by the SIR Director of Government and Policy Affairs.
- Ensures compliance with federal lobbying requirements, including registering under the Lobbying Disclosure Act (LDA) and submitting lobbying reports.
- Prepare weekly IR Advocacy Newsletter and legislative reports for senior staff and physician volunteers and update advocacy pages on SIR website.
- In collaboration with the Director of Government and Policy Affairs identifies congressional campaigns to support with SIRPAC contributions, provides staff support at SIRPAC Board meetings and plans and hosts SIRPAC events.
- Provides staff support for the SIR Government Affairs Committee and the FDA Subcommittee.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required, JD or advanced degree in public policy preferred.
- Five or more years of public policy experience to include federal legislative and/ or regulatory agency positions. Health care policy experience and passion preferred.
- Experience in developing and implementing advocacy campaigns with Congress and the Administration in a nonpartisan fashion and utilizing coalition efforts.
- Experience growing and utilizing robust grassroots advocacy programs using advocacy platforms such as VoterVoice.
- Excellent analytical ability, including demonstrated experience and success with legislative or regulatory issues and activities. Ability to register as a lobbyist.
- Strong writing, editing and speaking skills- candidates should have the ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely for a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively -candidates should be self-motivated, but also enthusiastic team players open to feedback and collaboration.
- Excellent organizational skills and keen attention to detail-candidates should have the ability to prioritize work and manage time on multiple projects and tasks to meet deadlines in a fast-moving and fluid environment.
- Some travel required (once work travel is again more common).
Special note regarding COVID-19: Candidates for the Senior Manager of Government Affairs position are expected to work from home during the next few months and may have flexibility to continue to work partly from home as we transition back to the office.
SIR is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Job posted: 2021-09-15