Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Manager, Government Affairs
At WeWork, we provide inspiring and flexible workplace solutions to help businesses – small, medium or large – thrive in more than 150 cities globally. The future of work is happening right now, and we are leading this moment. United by a common purpose, here we will empower tomorrow’s world at work. Join us on our journey as we give our members the freedom and support to push boundaries in their industries, and work to redefine our own.
Government Affairs Overview:
WeWork’s government affairs function exists to further the interests of our company and our community with politicians, regulators, opinion leaders, and others who shape the political and legal context for our business, while helping them understand the significant social and economic contributions of our platform.
We engage governments directly at the local, regional, national, and global levels, while also executing innovative advocacy and partnership strategies including detailed policy and government relations work, high-impact partnerships, proactive media relations, community organization, digital platforms and content, and innovative data science and research. We use the combined might of these disciplines to progress our overall policy agenda.
On a business front, our GA work can influence market requirements, help the WeWork sales team be more strategic, and support account leads by providing needed context to go beyond solely transactional conversations. For example, GA can inform the sales team about what Congress or Parliament cares about, what a Cabinet Secretary or Prime Minister cares about, why he/she is getting called to the Hill, what oversight agencies like GAO/IG/OMB are focused on, and other regular government work that sales teams typically don’t typically have much visibility into.
To take a current example, the GA function should be in a good position to explain why Congress and the Biden Administration are focused on the Technology Modernization Fund, highlight the types of companies that are good candidates for the fund, and work with the sales team to develop a strategy to propose our space for the project.
*ESG: This function will also begin to assess and coordinate our ESG policy and management.
- Creating and executing the company’s public policy strategy, including its legislative and policy agenda, to support the company’s strategic business priorities;
- Identifying and providing advice on business opportunities (and risks) stemming from pending policy, legislative, regulatory, and procurement-related initiatives;
- Keeping WeWork in compliance with and managing and coordinating all necessary disclosures and filings as related to the company’s government affairs efforts, i.e. lobbying disclosures, compliance filings, etc.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with key government decision-makers, including Congress, Parliaments, Prime Ministers, Chambers, senior Administration officials, and state/local government officials;
- Representing the company in key government forums and educating government officials about our industry and our flex category;
- Advancing the public narrative of the company and contributing to thought leadership—especially as it relates to government-focused media; and
- Advising the CEO and the management team on all things government.
- Begin process of drafting charter, managing necessary filings/disclosures, and creation of WeWork’s political action committee with support of existing extenral lobbying firms hired by Federal Sales
- *Management of ESG agency regarding strategy, framework, and reporting on ESG initiatives and measures
- *Management of impact and volunteer initiatives across company as tied to ESG policy and framework
- Candidate ideally located in DC or NYC
Key Goals of Government Affairs:
- Build Admin executive relationships that support Federal Sales to enterprise-level deals or major program wins
- Protect and grow existing programs of record and make them a public success story for the public and government documents and hearings
- Catalyze the creation of Administration and/or Congressional positions (e.g. policy document, executive order, presidential memorandum, public statements, NDAA or IAA reports) highlighting the importance of flexible space/hybrid model driving demand and requirements for our industry;
- Increase awareness of WeWork and our policy priorities through exec level meetings with Congressional members, key Administration officials, or other mutually agreed upon government executives
Life At WeWork
Being a WeWorker is more than just a job. We believe the magic of work is sparked by the passion you bring, the places you go, the people you meet and the purpose you follow. And it starts here. Here you will brush shoulders with those who dare to dream and do. Here you will be welcomed by a diverse community that embraces and inspires you—because together we can achieve more. Here we challenge ideas, and explore new ways of getting things done. Whether you are part of our Employee Community Groups, or part of a global project, we ask you to bring your open-minded attitude and collaborative spirit. In return, you will be part of a team where your unique perspectives are celebrated.
WeWork is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon gender, sexual orientation, marital or civil status, pregnancy (or pregnancy-related conditions), gender identity or expression, transgender status or gender reassignment, race, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including genetic testing and characteristics), military or veteran status, or any other grounds or characteristic that is protected under the law.
As part of our commitment to health and safety, WeWork — like a growing number of employers — is requiring all U.S. employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition of employment, absent a legal exception for reasonable accommodation. We provide unvaccinated new hires a 45-day grace period after their start date to get fully vaccinated or, if eligible, obtain a reasonable accommodation. If you believe that a legal exception may apply to you, please still apply for any role(s) you are interested in and, if you are hired, you will receive instructions on how to request a reasonable accommodation after your start date. Please note that roles that require in-person work — currently, within our Community (excluding Member Experience), Facilities Management (including Security), Sales (excluding Sales Ops), and Member Technology teams — will not be eligible for work-from-home as an accommodation because it poses an undue hardship on our business.
Job posted: 2022-10-25