Senior Manager Government Affairs & Policy
This position presents an opportunity to play a key role in a growth oriented business that is a global leader in the renewable energy and hydropower industries. This position is ideally suited to a knowledgeable, career oriented individual seeking a challenging growth opportunity in renewable power.
Reporting to the Vice-President, Federal Policy, the applicant will be responsible for monitoring existing and potential future energy policy developments, as well as establishing and overseeing implementation of strategies to directly influence policy. A significant component of the role will involve the formulation and execution of policy, legislative and advocacy strategies at the Federal level to help advance the interests of our diversified portfolio of hydropower and other renewable energy assets. The applicant will work in the D.C. area, but will be requested to join the management team in New York City periodically. Occasional travel to key facility locations in North America may also be required as part of the normal course of business.
- Monitor and report on policy developments, and establish and implement strategies in relation to energy policy in the US– with a particular focus at the Federal level;
- Collaborate with and support the regional policy and regulatory leads;
- Promote Brookfield Renewable’s interests as they relate to the energy policy evolution;
- Advise Brookfield Renewable’s management on the impact of energy policy developments to the business;
- Track and influence energy policy developments through direct contacts and networking;
- Participate in filings, comments, and legislative committees, regulatory bodies;
- Maintain relation ships with other energy policy professionals within industry, in the NGO community, and in government;
- Coordinate closely with the legal team and the communications team.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and strong negotiation skills;
- Strong political acuity, as well as knowledge of power and environmental markets;
- Ability to work with trade associations, coalitions, and outside consultants as well as an internal team of professionals;
- Experience working with legislators, regulators, stakeholders and industry advocacy groups;
- Ability to resolve differences and build relationships;
- Experience in project / case management and working on project teams;
- Demonstrated skills in identifying and assessing business threats and opportunities;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Highly self-motivated with the ability to work independently.
- 5-7 years of public policy or legislative advocacy experience, including at least 2 years on Capitol Hill;
- A Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Business Administration or Law – a master’s degree is preferred;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with legislative and government advocacy;
- Strong relationships and extensive network with other energy policy and environmental stakeholders will be highly valued;
- Willingness to travel occasionally in North America.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-09