Senior Manager, Government Affairs & Public Policy, Ads and Commerce
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
- 14 years of relevant experience working with or in government, think tanks, public interest groups, technology industry groups, corporate public policy organizations and/or technology companies
- Experience with and understanding of public policy issues relating to digital advertising and e-commerce, including an understanding of the digital advertising ecosystem
- Exceptional communicator who understands how to adapt to their audience
- Demonstrated experience working with international teams and driving consensus across multiple stakeholders with differing perspectives
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, with the ability to collaborate with multiple cross-functional teams simultaneously and never missing a deadline
- Exceptional analytical, organizational, and time management skills.
- Strong interest in people management (experience managing a team)
About the job
As a member of Google’s Government Affairs and Public Policy team, you’ll be part of a diverse global government affairs team, working across regions, product areas, and functions. You’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage various campaigns, projects and initiatives. In this role, you’ll advocate for Google to bring external perspectives back into the company to inform our perception and direction. You’re passionate about the opportunity to shape the future of how we use and build technology for everyone.
The GAPP Consumer team’s mission is to advance Google’s license to innovate by helping governments, civil society, and Google’s product leadership responsibly navigate the social, political and economic issues of our time. In our GAPP Ads and Commerce subteam, we directly support and advise the Ads and Commerce Product Areas in support of this mission.
As the GAPP Senior Manager for Ad Content, you will be a leader on the GAPP Ads and Commerce team (sitting within the broader GAPP Consumer Products organization). You will be a people manager and provide strategic regulatory advice to the Ads Product Area, cross-functional partners and regional GAPP colleagues on Ad content and policy issues. You and your team will serve as the conduit of information sharing and influence between product and policy makers. You will use your knowledge of digital advertising and the regulatory environment to drive forward-thinking product decisions, product policies, and smart regulation. Most importantly, you will have a friendly, collaborative and inclusive group of colleagues to support you and your work!
Google takes its responsibilities seriously, including engaging with government and other stakeholders on important public policy challenges. The Government Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP) team leads the company’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators and third-parties in the formation of public policy. Working closely with Google leaders, GAPP seeks to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the company’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders. While we focus on challenges affecting the internet, our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where public policy, business, and technology intersect.
- Develop and lead long-term and immediate public policy strategies for Ads and Commerce Product Areas that support our global business objectives and drive favorable policy and regulatory outcomes.
- Advise executives, engineers, product managers, and other internal teams on emerging regulatory and legislative issues that could impact Google users globally.
- Build and manage a network of key senior stakeholder and influencer relationships to help shape a positive policy and regulatory environment and maintain an open Internet.
- Manage policy projects related to user privacy, controversial content, competition and cross-industry relations.
- Engage directly with policymakers and key opinion formers to shape public and political dialogue.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-05