Senior Manager, Government Affairs and Public Policy, Google News
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of experience working on technology policy issues within government, think tanks, public interest groups or relevant industry associations.
- Direct experience at a technology company, trade association, NGO or similar organization dealing with technology policy issues with international implications
- Experience within the news ecosystem.
- Experience advising product or engineering teams.
- Familiarity with Internet technologies and the surrounding policy environments.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing environment.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills. Ability to collaborate with multiple cross-functional teams simultaneously.
About the job
As a member of Google’s Government Affairs and Public Policy team, you’ll be part of a diverse global government affairs team, working across regions, product areas, and functions. You’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage various campaigns, projects and initiatives. In this role, you’ll advocate for Google to bring external perspectives back into the company to inform our perception and direction. You’re passionate about the opportunity to shape the future of how we use and build technology for everyone.
Today, our products like Search, Google News, and Discover help our users discover a diversity of news and opinion content online. Google is also invested in supporting the broader news industry through the Google News Initiative, which focuses on products, partnerships, and programs to help support quality journalism and build a stronger future for news.
You will manage projects across a host of issues; coordinate with the global team/key cross-functional partners to execute our government affairs strategy; and advise product, business and engineering teams on the public policy implications of their work. You will organize, manage, and communicate about critical plans, initiatives, and strategy. You will need outstanding analytical and organizational skills, the ability to communicate effectively in person and writing, an aptitude for learning, an ability to develop/implement creative ideas, and the discipline to manage competing projects with tight deadlines.
Google takes its responsibilities seriously, including engaging with government and other stakeholders on important public policy challenges. The Government Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP) team leads the company’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators and third-parties in the formation of public policy. Working closely with Google leaders, GAPP seeks to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the company’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders. While we focus on challenges affecting the internet, our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where public policy, business, and technology intersect.
- Develop public policy strategy for Google News, including working with a cross-functional team to design Google’s policy positions and strategies to support our global business objectives, and drive favorable policy and regulatory outcomes.
- Manage policy projects on a host of issues affecting Google’s news product offerings, including copyright, misinformation, competition and our engagement with the media ecosystem.
- Work within a global team to develop public policy strategies and positions for Google’s products, including the creation of materials supporting advocacy on those positions.
- Engage directly with policymakers, industry players, and key opinion formers to engage in policy/political dialogue on the future sustainability of news and Google’s role in supporting quality journalism.
- Work closely with teams across Google (Product, Business, Engineering) to advise on product development and emerging issues impacting Google News and Internet users globally.Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-28