Senior Manager, Government Affairs and Public Policy, Mobile and Hardware
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 14 years of experience working on technology policy issues within government, think tanks, public interest groups or relevant industry associations.
- Must have work authorization in the United States.
- Direct experience at a technology company, NGO or similar organization dealing with technology policy issues with international implications.
- Experience and familiarity with telecommunications, mobile and hardware technologies and the surrounding policy environments.
- Ability to evaluate issues independently in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated experience advising product or engineering teams.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, with the ability to collaborate with multiple cross-functional teams simultaneously.
About the job
As a member of Google’s Government Affairs and Public Policy team, you’ll be part of a diverse global government affairs team, working across regions, product areas, and functions. You’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage various campaigns, projects and initiatives. In this role, you’ll advocate for Google to bring external perspectives back into the company to inform our perception and direction. You’re passionate about the opportunity to shape the future of how we use and build technology for everyone.
In this role you will be responsible for managing projects across a host of issues; coordinating with the global team and key cross-functional partners to execute our policy strategy; and advising product, business and engineering teams on the public policy implications of their work. You will be required to organize, manage, and communicate about critical plans, initiatives, and strategy. You will need excellent analytical and organizational skills, the ability to communicate effectively in person and writing, an aptitude for learning, an ability to develop and implement creative ideas, and the discipline to manage competing projects with tight deadlines. The role requires experience either working with or in a corporate public policy team, government, or NGO as well as a demonstrated ability to grasp complex technical and policy issues.
Google takes its responsibilities seriously, including engaging with government and other stakeholders on important public policy challenges. The Government Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP) team leads the company’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators and third-parties in the formation of public policy. Working closely with Google leaders, GAPP seeks to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the company’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders. While we focus on challenges affecting the internet, our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where public policy, business, and technology intersect.
- Manage policy projects on a host of issues impacting Google’s mobile and hardware businesses, including trade, data privacy and security, content moderation, competition and cross-industry relations.
- Work closely with Product, Business, Engineering and other teams across Google to advise on product development and emerging issues impacting our mobile and hardware businesses and our global customer base.
- Engage directly with policymakers, industry players and key opinion formers to shape policy and political dialogue that impact Google’s business objectives.
- Develop and lead public policy strategy for Google’s mobile and hardware businesses, including managing a team of policy professionals responsible for designing Google’s policy positions that support our global business objectives and driving favorable policy and regulatory outcomes.
- Be a team player with a sense of humor and the ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing and sometimes stressful environment.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-03-20