Senior Manager, Government Affairs and Public Policy, YouTube Content
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 14 years of experience working on technology policy issues within government, think tanks, public interest groups, or relevant industry associations.
- Experience with YouTube’s primary product offerings and functionalities.
- Demonstrated experience advising and collaborating with cross-functional stakeholders to design and deliver exceptional work product.
- Knowledge of current and emerging public policy trends relating to online content platforms, specifically around controversial content such as hate speech, violent extremism, and child safety.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and a strong track record of executing cross-functional projects.
- Team player with a sense of humor and the ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing and sometimes stressful environment.
About the job
As a member of Google’s Government Affairs and Public Policy team, you’ll be part of a diverse global government affairs team, working across regions, product areas, and functions. You’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage various campaigns, projects and initiatives. In this role, you’ll advocate for Google to bring external perspectives back into the company to inform our perception and direction. You’re passionate about the opportunity to shape the future of how we use and build technology for everyone.
As a Senior Manager of Content for the Government Affairs & Public Policy team at YouTube, you will be an ambassador for YouTube’s issues and interests with policymakers and key opinion formers. You will be an expert in the policy environment affecting YouTube’s business operations, particularly in relation to the regulatory landscape around controversial content. You will develop a thorough understanding of YouTube’s products, policies, and operations. You will coordinate with the global GAPP team to understand the policy issues that affect YouTube’s business operations and develop strategies to protect YouTube’s interests. You will need excellent analytical, interpersonal and organizational skills, the ability to communicate effectively in person and in writing, an aptitude for learning, and the discipline to manage multiple projects with tight deadlines.
Google takes its responsibilities seriously, including engaging with government and other stakeholders on important public policy challenges. The Government Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP) team leads the company’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators and third-parties in the formation of public policy. Working closely with Google leaders, GAPP seeks to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the company’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders. While we focus on challenges affecting the internet, our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where public policy, business, and technology intersect.
- Work with YouTube Product leadership, Legal, Marketing, Trust & Safety, and PR to develop and launch responsive content policies.
- Be a primary point of contact at YouTube for content escalations and emergencies from the Government Affairs and Public Policy team.
- Be a thought leader in controversial content and in developing YouTube’s global content policies and program strategies to handle harmful and illegal content.
- Be a flexible communicator who can both explain technical details to a public policy audience and public policy developments to an internal technical audience.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-04-24