Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Manager – Government Affairs & Research
Pennsylvania School Boards Association
PSBA is seeking a Senior Manager of Government Affairs & Research to develop and advocate for legislative policy and research in support of the association’s advocacy initiatives. This position will be responsible for advancing the association’s public policy goals by providing in-depth analysis of proposed legislative policy, member impacts, and policy recommendations. And will also assist in PSBA’s advocacy and lobbying efforts.
- Assist with expanding PSBA members’ knowledge of and confidence in the legislative process, lobbying, and strategic policy communication and media.
- Support and participate in PSBA’s annual Advocacy Day(s) virtually and/or in-person which includes member volunteers from across Pennsylvania.
- Assist the Managing Director of Government Affairs with recruiting and coordinating the actions of the Legislative Advocacy Committee.
- Assist in maintaining relationships with association members, committees, state agencies and legislators to build support for the association’s legislative agenda and increase the association’s visibility in Harrisburg.
- Research, review, analyze and comment on proposed and enacted legislation or policy proposals; draft or assist in drafting, legislative committee or agency testimony, proposed legislation, PSBA position statements, feedback on legislation or policy proposals, and in developing materials explaining legislative issues and developments.
- Represent PSBA, and confer and work with legislators and their staff, education policymakers, and other public education groups, on proposed legislation, amendments, and policy proposals; speak on legislative, research, policy, or education funding topics at PSBA regional and county meetings, as requested.
- Research and analyze data relative to core priority public policy issues, including charter schools, pension reform, mandates, special education, basic education funding and school district evaluation/assessment. Provide clear, concise analysis, public policy recommendations, and communications on information and data developed.
- Responsible for proactively researching and analyzing data and developing special reports, white papers, and other forms of written and visual communication, including websites and social media, to varying audiences, including association members, association staff/ contractors, legislators and their staff, and the public, which support public education and/or the association’s legislative positions.
- Perform legislative policy review and provide analyses of the anticipated impacts of such policy on public education, the association’s members and students and make strategic recommendations on policy improvements, amendments, or proactive policy goals for the association to pursue within its legislative platform.
- Support and manage an annual report that includes a wide array of data, data analysis, public policy impacts and recommendations that amount to a compelling and comprehensive narrative communicating the state of public education in Pennsylvania in a given year and changes over time.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent experience related to communications, volunteer training and leadership, public policy, or political science
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to effectively establish credibility and effectively train and organize a diverse group of volunteer leaders
- Ability to travel occasionally, including extended days, evenings and weekends
- Must be able to think outside the box to offer new ideas, concepts and solutions
- Possess a team-player approach that works well in an ever-changing environment.
Submit a resume and cover letter to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
Job posted: 2023-01-17