Senior Manager Government Affairs (West Region)
PURPOSE OF ROLE:
The primary purpose of the Sr Manager Government Affairs is to advocate on behalf of Lowe’s in the company’s key strategic and high policy risk state and local markets (“assigned markets”). The Sr Manager advocates before state and local legislative and regulatory bodies in those markets; coordinates with trade and business associations; maintains a grassroots network among Lowe’s associates; and develops and leverages a strong network of external influencers. In addition, the Sr Manager will be responsible for the administration and enhancement of Lowe’s political action committee (LOWPAC), including education, communication, fundraising, political giving, donor relations, associate engagement, and legal compliance.
- Build and maintain relationships on behalf of Lowe’s with key stakeholders, including state and local officials in assigned markets, trade associations and NGOs who have the ability to impact/influence the company’s top issues in those assigned markets
- Work with senior leadership to develop and drive the organization’s policies and objectives involving local and state government relations and policy
- Act as the company’s primary interface with elected officials and key community groups in assigned markets, and may serve as media spokesperson on certain issues, as appropriate
- Cultivate, maintain, and engage trusted relationships directly with a sophisticated political contact network, specifically in the retail arenas with state Attorneys Generals, other state government officials, local government officials, and other key government stakeholders in assigned markets
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of legislation, emerging issues, and industry trends in assigned markets, ensuring the Vice President- Government Affairs and relevant stakeholders throughout the company are informed with analyses of the significance, relevance, and business impact of these developments in a timely manner
- Monitor and track proposed legislation and ballot measures (local, state, and federal), analyze proposed legislative, administrative and ballot measure actions in assigned markets, assess the potential impact on the company and formulate appropriate responses
- Direct contract lobbyists and consultants in assigned markets as needed to assist the company’s efforts and works closely with trade and other associations in assigned markets
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communications, Political Science, Business Administration or related field.
- 8+ years’ experience in government relations of combined experience working for either a corporate Government Affairs Department at the manager level or above; working on a federal, state, or local candidate’s campaign; and/or working for a federal, state, or local elected official
- 5+ years proven ability to engage with highly successful team of federal, state, and local lobbyists, researchers, and public policy advocates.
- Strong, positive executive presence. Knowledge of the federal, state legislative and regulatory processes.
- 5 years proven ability to successfully execute public policy, political, and advocacy objectives
- 5 years managing multiple large projects simultaneously in Fortune 500 corporate environment
- Experience with congressional staff or government relations consulting firm. Retail experience strongly preferred.
- Leadership experience – directly or indirectly, managing professionals and subject matter experts.
- Demonstrated work experience with federal elected officials, political parties, companies, consultancies, trade associations, governmental agencies, or equivalent organizations.
- Masters or Juris Doctor preferred
Lowe’s Companies, Inc. (NYSE: LOW) is a FORTUNE® 50 home improvement company serving approximately 18 million customers a week in the United States and Canada. With fiscal year 2019 sales of $72.1 billion, Lowe’s and its related businesses operate or service more than 2,200 home improvement and hardware stores and employ approximately 300,000 associates. Based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s supports its hometown Charlotte region and all communities it serves through programs focused on creating safe, affordable housing and helping to develop the next generation of skilled trade experts. For more information, visit Lowes.com.
About Lowe’s in the Community:
As a FORTUNE® 50 home improvement company, Lowe’s is committed to creating safe, affordable housing and helping to develop the next generation of skilled trade experts through nonprofit partnerships. Across every community we serve, Lowe’s associates donate their time and expertise through the Lowe’s Heroes volunteer program. For the latest news, visit Newsroom.Lowes.com or follow @LowesMedia on Twitter.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-17