Senior Manager, Government & External Affairs
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate decisions about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating practices, all employees are required to report their vaccination status.
Lead and direct the regional and local government affairs program and provide strategic external communications counsel to the state and regional senior leadership team. Drive the company’s strategy and execution of goals supporting Business Development, Inclusion and Diversity, external ESG initiatives, legislative and policy initiatives and priorities, and all external communications and education/marketing efforts. This role will support our Southeast, PA region. This role will follow a 3 & 2 work schedule with a minimum of 3 days per week in the office/traveling and 2 days from home. The ideal candidate can be located out of our Norristown, Yardley and/or Coatesville offices.
- Provides counsel on matters affecting policy, politics, and key relationships and ensures the creation and implementation of strategic external communications comprised of robust written and dynamic digital communication content for external audiences. Effectively communicate and build relationships with elected officials and key stakeholders, monitor and measure communication plan outcomes and drive for continuous improvement in customer and overall stakeholder (legislative/regulatory/media) engagement.
- While managing numerous cross-functional projects, be a leader, skillfully collaborating with the entire Business Development and External Affairs team, as well as the major accounts manager(s), as appropriate, and delegating tasks to direct reports in an effort to produce high-quality, resonant and engaging deliverables.
- Directs the Manager of External Affairs and the Manager of Government Affairs. Works with the Director of Government Affairs to leverage political relationships, advocate the company’s position, and provide political guidance to the company.
- Working with the External Affairs team, monitor internal/external business developments, as well as identify connections between business activities and industry trends, that may pose a threat or benefit to American Water’s reputation.
- Work with the Business Development team to identify, develop and execute acquisitions of water and wastewater systems (and other growth opportunities) in and around PA American Water Company’s service territory.
- As a master of creative content development with a strong visual sense, will propose creative and innovative communications tactics. In addition to written communication, will help produce videos as part of an overall external communications strategy.
- Engage with a variety of external stakeholders to build strategic relationships and coalitions to support the company’s business development, legislative and communications initiatives. Actively participates in suitable business, industry, civic and community organizations, including involvement on various boards, major accounts and committees. Supports senior leadership’s involvement in external organizations as appropriate.
- Partner with Internal Communications and Customer Communications colleagues to maintain strategic integration of messaging and regularly communicate and discuss projects best practices with client groups. Partner with Customer Experience and other cross-functional teams to build strategic external/internal communication plans to promote enterprise-wide projects and programs.
- Work across department functions to provide guidance on the political implications of various actions and relationships, including regulatory affairs, legal, business development, external affairs, and major accounts
- Must possess a working knowledge of the legislative process at all levels of government, including understanding of the structural and political dynamics impacting key players and the company’s business development and advocacy efforts. Has an understanding of campaign finance and election laws and a knowledge of the various reporting requirements as applicable.
- Strong digital communication and technology skills. Must expertly leverage the holistic customer and overall stakeholder (legislative/regulatory/media) digital experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to distill complex information into easy-to-understand content.
- Must work with agile mindset to meet tight deadlines while maintaining attention to detail.
- Able to delegate tasks effectively by setting tasks and timelines and providing guidance as needed.
- Is experienced and adept at reviewing and providing thoughtful feedback for both copy and graphic design and layout.
- High confidence and enthusiasm when working with new technologies and new ideas; ability to manage through influence, and build strong, trusting relationships.
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize responsibilities to meet deadlines and demand.
- Bachelor’s degree in public administration, government, journalism, communications, public relations, public policy or related field preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in government relations, lobbying, external affairs, or a communications role. Outstanding, proven written and oral communication skills.
- Direct, hands-on experience in multimedia communication such as video production, graphics, photography, social media platforms.
- Experience with local and national media.
- Works in a modern-day professional office environment.
Up to 40% travel throughout the region as required.
To apply, please visit: https://career4.successfactors.com/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=101391&company=amwater
Job posted: 2021-11-23