Senior Manager, Government Relations
The National Association of Enrolled Agents (NAEA) represents the interest of approximately 58,000 enrolled agents (EAs). EAs are tax practitioners licensed to practice before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). One of the key benefits NAEA offers its members is its advocacy efforts, which protect and promote the profession through constant contact with the legislative branch (generally, federal tax writers and their staffs); the administrative branch (generally, IRS, through its various operating divisions, its DC headquarters, and regulation writers); and other stakeholders in the tax administration space at the federal and state levels.
Advocacy at NAEA
NAEA has a strong voice in DC, a robust political action committee (NAEA PAC), and committed volunteers, all of which provide the organization a respected place at the table. We are looking for an ambitious, articulate, curious, diligent professional with a sense of humor, strong research, synthesis, and written communications skills to join us in our Washington, DC offices. While prior experience in tax or a tax-related industry (investment or finance) or in small business is not essential, it is certainly helpful.
Senior Manager, Government Relations
The Senior Manager, Government Relations will report to the Senior Director, Administration, Finance and IT. This role will work in coordination with NAEA’s Legislative Counsel and closely with several functional areas, including communications, marketing, and membership, to manage the organization’s day-to-day advocacy efforts. With guidance from NAEA’s Executive Vice President, s/he will be responsible for managing and implementing the organization’s federal, government affairs operations, advocacy strategy, and providing guidance, as necessary, to our state affiliates.
- ADVOCACY: Maintain relationships and partnerships with government officials, affiliate leaders, advocacy groups, external organizations, and industry stakeholders to achieve NAEA’s advocacy goals and serve as one of NAEA’s key Washington representatives in direct advocacy meetings with legislators and staffs on the federal level to build support for NAEA’s government relations initiatives as well as be able to track and analyze federal and state legislative, regulatory, judicial, and political activities that may have an impact on NAEA and its members.
- COMMUNICATIONS: Collect and synthesize timely and relevant information, legislative and regulatory developments, and other issues of note to the industry and share same through e@lert (our weekly e-newsletter), EA Journal (our bi-monthly journal), and other platforms (g., full membership special alerts and social media).
- PAC: Support NAEA PAC by drafting fundraising emails to raise funds for NAEA PAC; manage cadence of same and design annual PAC pins and coordinate with vendors to finalize as well as update PAC Steering Committee members on PAC statistics, reports and deliverables and manage PAC spend plan.
- GRASSROOTS: Plan and organize NAEA’s annual Fly-in Day in Washington, DC.
Additional areas of focus:
- Draft, as necessary, written analyses, issue papers, comment letters, testimony and background materials in support of NAEA’s advocacy objectives; present reform proposals and initiatives to NAEA members and other key audiences and stakeholders.
- Work collaboratively with communications, marketing, and membership departments to ensure that legislative and advocacy goals/victories are broadcast, and to identify PR opportunities that may increase enrolled agent awareness and/or the importance of EAs to tax administration and taxpayers.
- Serve as point of contact for NAEA’s external PAC consultant NAEA PAC, which ensures compliance with all federal lobbying and reporting requirements as established by HLOGA and the FEC.
- Serve as NAEA staff liaison for volunteers serving on NAEA’s Government Relations Committee and NAEA PAC Steering Committee and update Government Relations Committee members on government relations news and coordinate with these volunteers to produce government relations work products (e.g., letters, testimony, etc.) and deliverables for NAEA members.
- Draft grassroots advocacy emails to engage NAEA members on certain legislative issues and encourage them to contact their legislators.
- Maintain NAEA website in relation to government relations and NAEA PAC updates.
- Coordinate with IRS’s Office of Practitioner Enrollment and Return Preparer Office to assist EAs maintain their licenses.
- Maintain government relations budget to implement NAEA’ fiscal year priorities.
- Assist with and facilitate advocacy coalitions as necessary.
- At least 3-5 years’ of political, public affairs, grassroots, or government relations experience in executive, legislative, corporate and/or private sector and/or comparable association staff experience preferred.
- Solid computer skills: MS Word, Excel, Power Point
- Experience using association management software, Fonteva (salesforce) a plus.
- Knowledge of Aristotle a plus.
- Excellent communicator, both written and oral.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to manage competing priorities timely.
Please send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com
Job posted: 2020-03-11