Senior Manager, Government Relations
Opportunity at a Glance
Adtalem Global Education seeks a dynamic and effective Senior Manager, Government Relations to support the government relations (GR) team by creating and implementing systems to move forward cross-departmental work, maintaining a federal/state policy portfolio, and providing research, writing, analysis and project management support to the Director of US Government Relations and other senior GR leadership. The Sr. Manager will support the Director in providing outreach to federal and state government entities and other stakeholders including but not limited to Congress, state lawmakers and industry associations to advance Adtalem’s legislative priorities. The Sr. Manager builds and maintains positive relationships with a myriad of stakeholders to execute Adtalem’s government relations strategy.
This position is remote and based in Washington, D.C.
- Support the Director in building, maintaining and growing external relationships to advance policy priorities and further company reputation.
- Closely monitors and elevates legislative and other actions that could impact Adtalem and its institutions and companies and work with internal subject matter experts for analyses; work with external stakeholders.
- Research, analyze and prepare policy briefs and make recommendations as appropriate.
- Track and report on policy trends and updates; develop tools to help communicate to internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide project management support to the Director and Sr. Director on federal and state public policy priorities, including developing timelines and reporting on multiple workstreams.
- Communicate effectively and consistently with GR team regarding ongoing legislative efforts, upcoming events, status of priorities and other information which affects the departmental and broader company goals.
- Assist Director with PAC tracking and reporting including the development and execution of an annual PAC budget, identification of opportunities to promote the PAC and quarterly federal Lobbying Disclosure Act (LDA) and bi-yearly LD-203 Political Contributions reporting.
- Represent Adtalem in legislative engagement activities and political activities and events.
- Assist GR senior leadership in working with Adtalem lobbyists on executing government relations and political contributions strategies and participating in meetings with government officials and other stakeholders.
- Assist in compliance with all federal and state ethics and campaign finance reporting.
- Completes other duties as assigned
Critical features of this job are described under Essential Duties and Responsibilities. They may be, however, subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Below are the minimum requirements of the education, experience, knowledge, and skills required to competently perform in this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree required; preferably in public policy, communications, political science, or a related field.
- Minimum of seven years related experience in government relations and federal and state policy making; lobbying experience strongly desired.
- Ability to build relationships with legislative offices and strategic partners; skilled at establishing and cultivating strong, long-term relationships.
- Must have strong analytical and legislative/statutory research skills.
- Demonstrate a sense of urgency and ability to problem solve, exercise judgment, and multi-task under pressure.
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal, and project management skills with ability to maintain accuracy in preparing and displaying information; provide superior proof-reading expertise to GR team.
- Possess a keen attention to detail and accuracy in a fast-moving and challenging political and policy environment, with international dimension.
- Highly resourceful team player prioritizing conflicting needs; handling matters expeditiously, proactively; and follows through on projects to successful completion while meeting deadlines.
- Strong work ethic and desire to produce an exceptional product.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and needs of the organization.
- Experience utilizing online advocacy tools and databases. PAC experience a plus.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. At Adtalem, we welcome everyone and have a strong commitment towards diversity and inclusion. We encourage our Colleagues to be their true authentic selves and support laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. We also maintain a drug-free workplace.
Who We Are
Job posted: 2020-10-07