Senior Manager, Government Relations
Other Duties And Responsibilities As Indicated Below
The role of the Senior Manager particularly focuses on state & local government affairs. This position assists with day-to-day operations as well as the strategic aspects of the Government Relations department.
- Coordinate activities with the senior vice president of government relations in order to develop and implement an effective government relations’ strategy at all levels of government.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of legislative and regulatory processes in target states/localities, and complete situational awareness of the political, legislative, and regulatory landscape in these areas.
- Develop strategic and tactical plans in each assigned state to address identified barriers and opportunities.
- Develop a strong network of relationships with state and local elected officials and policymakers and their staff to elevate IAPMO Group awareness.
- Develop and manage relationships with relevant industry associations, corporations, coalitions and public interest groups.
- Monitor and provide analysis of the political environment, including election in key jurisdictions and develop a public affairs strategy as needed
- Manage the drafting and review of commentary on proposed legislation and advocate for or against such legislation in furtherance of IAPMO’s interests
- Advise IAPMO Group business units in government decision-making policies and effective ways to influence their outcomes.
- Respond to requests for government relations’ advice, information, and other assistance within areas of expertise.
- Facilitate opportunities to demonstrate IAPMO Group in-house expertise in the areas of codes and standards development, environmental issues, and testing and certification best practices so as to impact and influence policy.
- Organize professional meetings and hearings; coordinate and schedule visits to policymakers and their staff by IAPMO Group technical experts and representatives.
Education And Experience
- Undergraduate degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Political Science or a related area.
- 5 years of relevant work experience in public policy and political affairs drawn from experience in governmental activities.
- Thorough understanding of Federal, State and municipal legislative and regulatory processes and how they impact the system.
- Ability to quickly grasp and address the specific issues facing industry.
- Experience with developing a government affairs strategy, including short and long-term goals and establishing methods of measuring the plan’s impact on and contribution to the organization
- Experience in developing a political communication strategy and the ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts and programs at the highest levels of government and business.
- Ability to work and be integral part of an action-oriented, decision-making working environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking and delivering presentations.
- Proven success in building and maintaining relationships with the diverse caucuses and industry groups
Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Objectively and rationally makes complex decisions.
- Effectively interacts and communicates with all levels of employees, management, and executives, and with outside vendors, agencies, and emergency personnel as needed or directed.
- Ability to speak, read and write in English.
- Ability to travel up to 25% internationally and nationally in a calendar year.
As the leading authority of water protection, code development, and product certification, IAPMO holds an unwavering commitment to technological advances for improving plumbing and mechanical systems that serves to protect the safety of the general public worldwide. IAPMO is a global non-profit organization committed to advancing the latest and most improved methods of sanitation. IAPMO’s legacy includes its international outreach, sharing knowledge and advancements with other countries’ governments for the purpose of expanding codes, sources, and methods into countries that need assistance and sustainment.
Founded in 1926, The International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO®) employs a diverse team of world-class professionals that includes engineers, scientists, technicians, and industry experts and leaders.
We value and employ individuals dedicated to our mission by offering:
- Competitive salary and benefits package, such as no cost health, dental, life, AD&D, and LTC
- 11 paid holidays, 10 days per year of vacation, and 15 paid sick days per calendar year.
- 401k and profit sharing
- Plus, much more!
IAPMO provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Note: Candidates may be required to pass background and/or drug test to be considered for this position.
As the leading authority of water protection, code development, and product certification, IAPMO holds an unwavering commitment to technological advances for improving plumbing and mechanical systems that serves to protect the safety of the general public worldwide. IAPMO is a global non-profit/for-profit organization committed to advancing the latest and most improved methods of sanitation. IAPMO’s legacy includes its international outreach, sharing knowledge and advancements with other countries’ governments for the purpose of expanding codes, sources, and methods into countries that need assistance and sustainment.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2018-12-05