Senior Manager of Government Relations
The Corn Refiners Association (CRA) represents the corn wet-milling industry in the United States. Wet milling allows corn to be turned into sweeteners, bioproducts, pharmaceutical ingredients, corn oil, and more. CRA also administers the Plant Based Products Council (PBPC), an organization launched by CRA in 2019 that represents companies manufacturing or using products, packaging, and ingredients made from renewable, plant-based materials. The Senior Manager of Government Relations will support both CRA and PBPC.
The Senior Manager is responsible for representing the policy interests of CRA and PBPC as a lobbyist before the US Congress, the presidential administration, and select state officials. The Senior Manager works collaboratively with our policy and communications teams to develop strategic plans and tactics to effectively promote policy objectives. The Senior Manager manages political consultants and is responsible for CRA’s political capital development. The Senior Manager must be adaptable to changing advocacy conditions and member inquiries or requests. The ability to manage multiple projects while staying on strategy, on deadline, and on budget is a must in this role. The person in this role will work closely with VP of External Affairs, VP of Advanced Bioproducts and other members of senior leadership.
Our organizations place a heavy emphasis on culture. Our work environment is fast-paced, dynamic, and highly collaborative. We strive to be transparent, inclusive, and professional in all that we do. We believe that we are a team of leaders and that we “share the problem” to collaborate and achieve success.
- Initiate and develop relationships with legislative staff, political appointees, and members of Congress
- Develop and execute advocacy strategies for multiple policy issues by working collaboratively with the policy and communications teams
- Work with strategic allies to advance common goals
- Identify opportunities to advance advocacy strategies, including but not limited to congressional engagement, legislation, participation in hearings, congressional briefings, and grasstops campaigns.
- Manage the government relations budget and CRA’s PAC
- Ensure organizational compliance with applicable ethics, lobby disclosure, and federal campaign finance standards and reporting
- Lead CRA’s Government Relations Committee
- Hire, manage, and mentor government relations interns
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Advanced knowledge of the legislative process, from authorization to budget and appropriations
- Ability to manage multiple and diverse responsibilities
- Successful track record of building and nurturing positive relationships and partnerships including with key stakeholders
- Experience in working collaboratively – strong ability to network and interact, as well as support effective partnerships, with key groups and individuals
- Strong customer/member service skills
- Ability to speak publicly and knowledgeably, both extemporaneously and from prepared text
- Ability to write a wide variety of documents
- Strong analytic skills
- Ability to be proactive in identifying problems, obstacles and opportunities and to take decisive action to address them
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- At least 5 years of combined legislative, White House, government relations and/or food or agriculture industry experience
- Experience working with the Democratic caucus in the House or Senate
- Experience supporting or managing bipartisan coalitions or policy initiatives
- Salary range of $85,000 – $100,000
- Flexible spending
- 401 k & Profit-Sharing Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Commuter Benefits
- Professional Development opportunities
This is a full-time employment position. The position is temporarily completely remote due to COVID-19. Applicants should anticipate a return to working in our Washington, DC office when it is safe.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
All employment decisions shall be made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.
Job posted: 2021-05-04