Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Manager, Government Relations
JDRF’s mission is to accelerate life-changing breakthroughs to cure, prevent, and treat T1D and its complications. To accomplish this, JDRF has invested more than $2.5 billion in research funding since our inception. We are an organization built on a grassroots model of people connecting in their local communities, collaborating regionally for efficiency and broader fundraising impact and uniting on a national stage to pool resources, passion and energy. We collaborate with academic institutions, policymakers and corporate and industry partners to develop and deliver a pipeline of innovative therapies to people living with T1D. Our staff and volunteers throughout the United States and our five international affiliates are dedicated to advocacy, community engagement and our vision of a world without T1D. For more information, please visit jdrf.org or follow us on Twitter: @JDRF
BROAD FUNCTION AND SCOPE OF THE POSITION:
This Washington, DC-based position represents the Foundation’s interests before federal government officials and staff. Participates in the development and implementation of the organization’s federal legislative strategies and programs. Assists the Director of Government Relations, Vice President of Government Relations & Grassroots Advocacy, and other Advocacy staff, as necessary, in managing the legislative agenda. Handles and masters a defined set of federal public policy and funding issues as they relate to health care, research, and therapy access for type 1 diabetes (T1D) and its complications.
- Develop, maintain, and utilize relationships with congressional staff, federal agency staff, patient/health advocacy groups, and other stakeholders to advance legislative goals.
- Evaluate and track relevant federal public policy, funding, and legislative issues.
- Play an integral role in the development and implementation of legislative strategies.
- Participate in and/or lead meetings. Develop and deliver presentations. Draft legislative materials for events, meetings, alerts, and social media postings. Manage components of legislative portion of advocacy events.
- Provide guidance, as needed and collaborate closely with other Advocacy staff and volunteers on our advocacy initiatives, events, projects, tasks and daily operations.
- Ensure that the confidentiality and security of all information under his/her supervision is maintained.
- Understand and support the vision, mission, and priorities of JDRF.
EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS:
- 8+ years of relevant experience required or equivalent combination of advanced education and experience.
- Proficient in legislative and federal budget process. Knowledge of T1D is a plus.
- Supervisory experience and comfort working with executive-level internal and external stakeholders.
- Substantive experience working with Members of Congress and congressional staff.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Proficient in developing and delivering presentations, reports, and business correspondence.
- Ability to handle complicated policy issues and represent the best interests of JDRF.
- Exceptional management, leadership, and team-building skills. Team player that can interface with all levels of staff and volunteers. Must develop, maintain, and utilize relationships.
- Effectively and quickly multi-task, establish priorities, and work in a fast-paced environment. Highly efficient in time management and can meet deadlines with quality results under pressure.
- Detail-oriented and strong organizational skills. Capable of handling diversified assignments.
- Excellent written, oral, and communication skills. Aptitude for presentation delivery, conveying ideas, and instructing effectively.
- Superior active listening, observation, analytical, and problem recognition and solving skills.
- Ability to work and make judgments independently and take initiative. Self-starter that requires little supervision.
- College degree or relevant industry experience required. Further education preferred.
To protect the health and safety of our employees, all employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and have a COVID-19 booster shot regardless of location or position. This includes those with remote status. Requests for medical, religious, and other exemptions will be considered on an individual basis. JDRF will comply with all federal, state, and local laws.
JDRF supports a diverse and inclusive workforce.
JDRF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Job posted: 2022-09-08