Senior Manager of Government Relations and Public Affairs
The American Bakers Association, the advocate for the $102 billion grain-based food industry, has an opportunity for an organized, motivated, team player as our new Senior Manager of Government Relations and Public Affairs.
The ABA is seeking a Manager of Government Relations and Public Affairs to be the lead advocate for ABA on our human resources and labor management issue portfolio. Additionally, to be the liaison between the ABA Government Affairs and ABA Communications and Marketing teams on policy public relations. We seek a highly organized and self-motivated addition to our collaborative team. The selected candidate will work closely with our baking industry human resources professionals’ group. Further, the selected candidate will be a member of a team of four talented government relations professionals and report directly to the Senior Vice President of Government Relations and Public Affairs.
Salary: $90,000 – $110,000 Depending on experience plus comprehensive benefits package
The Manager of Government Relations and Public Affairs is responsible for:
- Liaising with the ABA Human Resources Professionals’ Group, including developing expertise of the ABA members’ workforce practices, challenges, and opportunities as they related to their business success.
- Monitoring legislative and regulatory developments on human resources, labor management, and other policy issues that have a direct impact on the baking industry as assigned.
- Representing ABA and the baking industry in Washington business coalitions, Congressional hearings, press conferences, meetings, and other legislative and regulatory functions.
- Maintaining a high profile for the association within the industry in the areas of human resources, workforce, labor relations, and other issues as assigned.
- Liaising on policy issues with the ABA Communications and Marketing team.
- Supporting the Government Relations team with the coordination of congressional meetings and fly-in events, policy initiatives, coalitions, outreach opportunities, and other tasks as assigned.
This position requires occasional travel, both regionally and nationally.
Requirements: Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, public policy, history, journalism, foreign relations, or related field or equivalent experience is required.
- Related Master’s degree is desirable.
- 6+ years’ relevant congressional, association, or corporate experience in public policy and/or public affairs.
- Experience in workforce, human resources, and labor relations strongly desirable, but not required.
- Proven success in building and cultivating key policy relationships and meeting strategic objectives.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the public policy process.
- Outstanding oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated abilities in developing policy advocacy plans.
- Strong project management, collaborative, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Strong presence, credibility, and demonstrated abilities in policy advocacy.
- Proficiency in office productivity software, content management systems, association management systems, email marketing services, and social media platforms.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, collaborative working relationships with other staff and member leaders.
- Ability to articulate an advocacy position, policy strategy, and inspire others to support the strategic objectives.
- Ability to translate complex policy substance and process to business audience and motivate action.
- Ability to work well under pressure, to meet deadlines while making sound decisions, and to accommodate shifting priorities.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is negotiable based on experience. ABA offers a competitive compensation package that includes a comprehensive benefits package. To Apply In addition to your resume, candidates must include a cover letter outlining the strategic value that they will bring to ABA, drawing upon past successes and experience.
Please email these to the attention of Steve Taylor firstname.lastname@example.org
The American Bakers Association is a trade association that represents the voice of the wholesale baking industry. This is an opportunity to work in a results-oriented, mission-driven environment that empowers staff to creatively carry out responsibilities. ABA is a fun, team-oriented atmosphere and was selected a 2018 Best Place to Work by the NAM Council of Manufacturing Associations. ABA’s office is in downtown Washington, DC with convenient public transportation options nearby. ABA is an equal opportunity employer.
Job posted: 2019-09-09