Senior Manager, Health Communications
UnidosUS, previously known as NCLR (National Council of La Raza), is the nation’s largest
Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization. Through its unique combination of expert
research, advocacy, programs, and an Affiliate Network of nearly 300 community-based
organizations across the United States and Puerto Rico, UnidosUS simultaneously challenges
the social, economic, and political barriers that affect Latinos at the national and local levels.
For more than 50 years, UnidosUS has united communities and different groups seeking
common ground through collaboration, and that share a desire to make our community
stronger. For more information on UnidosUS, visit www.unidosus.org or follow us on Facebook,
Instagram, and Twitter.
The Senior Manager, Health Communications serves as the lead relationship manager for the
Marketing and Communications component on all health communications requests. This role’s
principal responsibility will be to engage the UnidosUS health experts to ideate, plan and
execute public health marketing and communications outreach. This includes everything from
helping draft rapid response social media content to implementing and project-managing multimonth campaigns.
• Oversees the organization’s public health communications and marketing strategies.
• Partners with internal health experts to establish public awareness communications.
strategies related to but not limited to the impact of COVID 19 on Latino communities.
• Serve as a lead relationship manager for Marcomm on all health communications
• Responsible for project management and execution across various projects and funder
deliverables.Demonstrates tactical proficiency in media relations, including creating and driving both
traditional and social media outreach plans.
• Researches and writes content for UnidosUS health-related webpages, social media, and
other communications assets such as infographics, blogs, press releases, talking points,
• Responsible for understanding and managing the staffing and resourcing necessary for
each project, including overseeing other members of the Marcomm and health teams.
• Creates and maintains a health-related posting and content schedule for social media, in
partnership with social media team.
• Builds relationships with external partners and influencers.
• Leads plan development and subsequent tracking and reporting of metrics in the form
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Familiarity with the U.S. Hispanic community, Hispanic nonprofit organizations, and the
Hispanic market and consumer a plus.
• Commitment to excellent and high standards.
• Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees.
• Acute attention to details.
• Bilingual (Spanish-English) skills a plus.
• A Bachelor’s degree in public health, communications, public affairs marketing,
public relations, journalism, or related field is preferred.
• Minimum of 8 to 10 years of experience providing communications, social media, media
outreach, and/or partnership engagement support for public health/healthcare and/or
communications programs and campaigns.
• Steadfast commitment to UnidosUS mission, vision and values.
(Excellence, Respect, Accountability)
• Familiarity and commitment with the U.S. Latino community, Latino nonprofit
organizations, and the Latino market a plus.
• The ideal candidate will have experience or a strong interest in health care
communications and/or related health issues.
• Experience working with coalitions and public-private partnerships is preferred.
• Demonstrate experience in communicating complex health topics to different
• Possess a solid understanding of the current healthcare landscape and the relevant
issues impacting the Latino community.
• Demonstrate effectiveness in a project management role, including ability to set
direction, effectively troubleshoot when things go off track, and establish and document
• Demonstrate ability to manage up, delegate, and work across departments/areas of
• Experience in successfully targeting Latino or diverse populations, including children,
young adults, and minority groups, or working with the public health and/or education
clients is highly preferred.
• Demonstrate experience in planning, implementing, and evaluating health
communication campaigns, initiatives, and products.
• Experience developing partnership engagement and outreach strategies (such as
engaging stakeholders in local communities) in support of a campaign’s health
• Research and write content for UnidosUS health-related webpages, social media, and
other communications assets such as infographics, blogs, press releases, talking
points, and/or e-newsletters.
• Demonstrate tactical proficiency in media relations, to include creating and driving
both traditional and social media outreach plans.
• Excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills are essential.
• Experience managing social media platforms and/or web platforms
(WordPress, Drupal) preferred.
• Experience using Cision preferred.
• Experience leveraging project management software such as Basecamp.
• At a minimum, intermediate level expertise in MS 365 Suite (Excel, Word, One Note,
• Experience with Microsoft Office apps such as Teams and One Note preferred
• Acute attention to details.
• Bilingual in English and Spanish strongly preferred.
Employment with UnidosUS is contingent upon successful completion
of a background screen.
Please note: Only those applicants who submit a cover letter and résumé will be considered for
this opportunity. Please include “Senior Manager, Health Communications” in the subject line.
SEND COVER LETTER, WRITING SAMPLE AND RÉSUMÉ TO:
Subject Line: Senior Manager, Health Communications
Attn: David Castro, Senior Director, Content Development
No phone calls please!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without
regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political
affiliation, or enrollment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education.
Job posted: 2021-01-12