Senior Manager, International Government Relations The Americas
The Senior Manager, International Government Relations for The Americas will manage proactive engagement and monitoring of relevant government and regulatory matters related to the Alibaba Group’s and Ant Financial’s (together the “Alibaba Economy”) business in the Americas. This role will be based in Washington, and the successful candidate will manage regulatory and political matters at the national and subnational levels in countries of priority in the region. The Senior Manager, International Government Affairs will be charged with understanding and working highly effectively within the political dynamics presented by advocating for a global e-commerce, digital and “techfin” business headquartered in China with a series of points of presence in the Americas. The Senior Manager of International Government Affairs will strategically manage legislative and regulatory advocacy initiatives across a range of risk environments in the region. This person’s responsibilities will also include day-to-day engagement with government officials and with external resources, such as consultancies and trade associations, as well as any relevant third party relationships in which Alibaba Economy may engage.
The responsibilities for this position will include building and sustaining relationships with key: national level officials, including members of legislatures and relevant executive agency/ministry and independent regulators; as well as relevant third party stakeholders, including trade associations and think tanks with a focus on digital, e-commerce and techfin matters. This work will be done to: first, build credibility for the Alibaba Economy with respect to priority legislative and regulatory positions with governments, political leaders, business associations and other stakeholders and second, to support commercial business development initiatives in partnership with local executives and business leaders. It is important that the incumbent be able to anticipate risks and opportunities, advise on engagement strategies and advocate on behalf of the Alibaba Economy, always working in close collaboration with business unit leadership and consistent with the overarching Alibaba Group narrative about inclusive globalization.
In addition, the Senior Manager, International Government Relations will:
• Support the execution of a government affairs engagement program for the Alibaba Economy which
• Advances the Alibaba Economy’s business growth, protects its brand and builds an enduring reputation centered on a customer first perspective, integrity, agility and adaptability – as well as thoughtful and well-grounded approaches to legislative and regulatory goals and political engagement.
• Obtain results that support the attainment of business goals through the provision of strategic insights regarding the relevant political atmosphere as well as the development and execution of effective lobbying strategies, political relationship development, and management of contract lobbyists and trade association/coalitions in key jurisdictions. Engage industry and government forums in a thoughtful and strategic manner to cultivate like-minded stakeholders and develop centers of gravity consistent with Alibaba Economy legislative and regulatory proposals and perspectives.
• Manage a suite of issues and responsibilities focused on the legislative and regulatory aspects of the Alibaba Economy as assigned by the IGR leadership and business management.
• Establish solid working relationships with Alibaba Economy colleagues at headquarters and work closely with colleagues internationally, including with other Alibaba functions, to develop and implement industry and government outreach. The outreach will be undertaken to support business growth and reputation protection, as well as legislative and regulatory objectives.
• Provide senior executives and colleagues with information, strategic advice and insightful perspectives concerning government actions and politics affecting the digital economy, e-commerce and techfin industries.
• Support Alibaba’s ongoing political compliance program as it relates to internal executives and external lobbyists, including monitoring and promoting compliance with the range of applicable government advocacy, campaign finance and ethics laws and regulations.
YEAR ONE SUCCESS FACTORS
• Achieve deep learning of Alibaba Economy businesses, practices, and globalization initiatives through engagement with business unit colleagues in China and internationally.
• Make measurable progress in the continued execution of the introduction and reputation protection campaign with relevant officials and business unit leaders, with a focus on prioritization for developing trusted working relationships with governments and effective advocacy on behalf of the businesses.
• Build accurate understanding and awareness of the Alibaba Economy’s commercial endeavors with key government leaders and decision makers.
• Build relationships for business unit leaders with stakeholders who can create opportunities for the Alibaba Economy to grow sustainably and globalize.
• Develop support for the Alibaba Economy as an ally and part of the solution to enable economic growth, job creation, inclusive finance, and fast, easy and safe payments for businesses and consumers.
• Collaborate with customer executives and government officials to promote Alibaba Economy perspectives and priorities.
• Build bridges to and trusted relationships with government officials to encourage and promote Alibaba Economy priority business models.
• Execute a comprehensive legislative and regulatory issues monitoring program on matters of importance to Alibaba Economy business units and protect against risks to globalization and localization.
The successful candidate will have approximately 10 years of progressively more responsible professional experience, including significant time in leadership positions in industry, law and/or government. This candidate will possess a background in government or government engagement, preferably with experience on business, policy and regulatory issues relevant to digital commerce, technology and fintech business models. S/He will have a successful track record managing high-level relationships and executing innovative government affairs initiatives to achieve corporate business objectives on both the regulatory and legislative fronts. S/He will have significant relevant business and government stakeholder relationship experience. A clear reputation for ethical conduct is required.
Specific qualifications include:
• Strong cultural adaptability and keen learning capacity.
• Strong decision-making and strategic thinking skills; ability to quickly grasp, address, prioritize and anticipate emerging issues – as well as recommend and suggest changes in strategies as relevant legislative and regulatory processes unfold, with an ability to navigate complex and competitive politics.
• Solid relationships and a thorough understanding of key legislative and regulatory processes, including an understanding of the role and capacity of third party stakeholder entities, including trade associations and other related organizations, to advance the business interests of the Alibaba Economy.
• Strong executive presence with excellent oral and written communication skills to represent the company effectively before relevant stakeholders and audiences. In addition to English, there is interest in any language capacity relevant to the Americas region. Any Mandarin or Spanish language proficiency or willingness to learn the languages would be an additional plus.
• Must demonstrate a sense of urgency with the ability to maintain a clear head in stressful situations.
• Ability to effectively manage multiple ongoing projects at once while appropriately allocating time and resources.
• Ability to evaluate competing interests of industry players and develop successful strategies to steer around obstacles and obtain desirable outcomes.
• Possess a keen attention to detail and accuracy in a fast-moving and challenging political and policy environment, with international dimension.
An undergraduate degree is required. An advanced degree in a relevant field, including law, is preferred.
A competitive and comprehensive compensation package will be provided to attract outstanding candidates.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-12