Senior Manager International Public Policy – Public Policy
The Public Policy team acts as Twitter’s ambassadors to government, policymakers, regulators, and civil society groups on public policy issues. We focus on addressing issues such as advocating for an Open Internet, freedom of expression, privacy, online safety, net neutrality, and data protection to advance the interests of Twitter and our customers. In addition, we serve as the #TwitterForGood team and provide guidance, resources, and support for Twitter’s Corporate Social Responsibility mission.
What You’ll Do
As Twitter’s Senior Manager, Global Public Policy, you’ll report directly to the VP, Global Public Policy & Philanthropy, and be part of a team that drives the development and advocacy of public policy solutions to pressing high technology issues around the world. Specifically, you will:
- Drive the team’s response to emerging geopolitical challenges, including restrictions on access to our service, acting as a program manager in coordinating our common positions and strategy in dealing with issues as they arise.
- Support the Global Vice President and US Public Policy team in building strong relationships with key diplomatic stakeholders in Washington, DC and abroad
- Collaborate with the Strategy, Development and Partnerships team to identify and drive new opportunities for the diplomatic community to use the Twitter service, including training.
- Formulate and implement global trade public policy strategy, with a focus on digital trade, market access and service disruptions
- Advise on public policy risks and opportunities with regards to market entry and expansion, and represent Twitter as needed with governments in such emerging markets and in internal, cross functional processes.
- Serve as a Subject Matter Expert on sanctions, economic regulations, export controls, and trade policy/FTAs.
- Manage the company’s strategic engagement in international economic and trade policy forums
- Identify opportunities for advocacy to protect the Open Internet in international economic and trade policy forums
- Manage Twitter’s international consultancies providing support for these areas of work
- Determine, maintain, and staff appropriate corporate membership opportunities in global industry associations.
- Explore tax, R&D and talent development incentives for investments
Who You Are
We’re looking for a person with exquisite judgement who combines significant experience in government, politics, and public policy at a global level-with a deep familiarity across all three disciplines.
Success: You may start your Twitter work experience learning additional technology and policies of importance to Twitter. At full effectiveness you will have mastery of Twitter and the related priorities. You will have established or measurably enhanced networks of government, civil society, NGO and academic relationships around the world. You will have successfully educated policymakers and regulators on economic policy, diplomacy, and Twitter and built strong, respectful relationships. You will have helped to elevate Twitter’s public policy brand among key audiences. In doing so, you will have demonstrated personal initiative, comprehension, judgment, fortitude, and the ability to think tactically and strategically. You have developed an internal reputation for being a thoughtful and strategic trusted advisor.
- Bachelor’s degree required, JD/LL.B or Master’s degree in policy or international/foreign affairs preferred.
- At least 15 years of public policy experience in a major corporation, government, NGO, and/or a strategic advisory policy business with global reach.
- Experience partnering with third party organizations to run public policy campaigns on complex, high-risk policy topics;
- An ability and desire to travel globally;
- Exceptional public policy, economic policy, diplomacy, and business judgment;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at all corporate and political levels; create factual, relevant, and easily understandable talking points and other messaging; persuasively deliver messaging to relevant audiences; and interject points intelligently, concisely, and in a friendly way;
- Highly effective oral, written, public speaking, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to work well with diverse people and all levels of management/employees;
- Ability to maintain highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity, with strongest professional reputation in the industry;
- Is a self-starter who can take general direction and produce specific results;
- Ability to identify and understand key technical aspects pertaining to corporate operations in legislative and regulatory proposals, understand business implications, and synthesize policy documents for internal and external customers;
- Ability to think critically, process data from multiple sources, forecast potential scenarios, prioritize based on probability and desired outcome, and recommend a best course of action;
- Ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others; be flexible and demonstrate strong judgment/decision-making skills, and political acumen. Ability to intelligently build a course of action, analyze trade-offs, and make recommendations even in ambiguous situations;
- Collaborative, detail-oriented, creative, and results-driven; and
- A consensus builder who is respected globally for your public policy acumen.
Are you passionate about analyzing the impact of social technology and algorithms on users and society? Will you advocate for product features that reduce harm to marginalized communities? Are you a proactive, detail-oriented professional who enjoys collaborating with product, enforcement, and policy teams to advance privacy, trust, and online safety?
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-04