Senior Manager, Marketing and Communications
About Food For Free
We believe that access to healthy food is a fundamental right.
Food For Free improves access to healthy food within our community by rescuing food that would otherwise go to waste and creating new distribution channels to under-served populations with an emphasis on utilizing school systems to reach those in need. We envision a future where everyone in our community—regardless of age, income, or ability—has consistent access to fresh, healthy, delicious food.
Through a combination of food rescue and transportation services, we give food programs year-round access to fresh fruits and vegetables, while our direct service programs bring food to students, seniors, and others most at risk of hunger. Our programs address not only short-term hunger, but also the long-term health effects of food insecurity and poor nutrition, while reducing food waste.
Following a period of unprecedented growth for the organization, this position will play a critical role in further defining and promoting Food For Free’s mission and brand.
Reporting to the Director of Development, and working closely with the Board of Directors’ Marketing Committee, the Senior Manager, Marketing and Communications is responsible for coordinating, implementing, and evaluating strategic plans to support the organization’s Marketing and Communications function—including brand awareness, fundraising, events, thought leadership, and advocacy—to achieve annual organizational goals. The Senior Manager, Marketing and Communications will have primary responsibility to create and manage PR, media, social media, web and other digital content, design, advocacy and thought leadership; and will support other organizational needs such as fundraising, donor acquisition, and volunteer recruitment.
- Using input from the Leadership Team and Board of Directors, create and implement a comprehensive, multi-channel marketing strategy that:
- Strengthens the organization’s brand as a leader in hunger relief in Greater Boston, Massachusetts, and nationally.
- Promotes a measurable increase in awareness of Food For Free’s mission and impact.
- Builds new and increases existing engagement from donors, volunteers, and other targeted audiences.
- Drive and manage the organization’s creative campaigns
- Manage the organization’s website content and back end, utilizing contractors as needed, to keep it fresh, relevant, and useful
- Manage and support Food For Free’s PR firm to place the organization in print and digital media, to position the organization as a thought leader in the field of hunger/food access and to promote the organization’s programs, events, funders, and campaigns
- Manage thought leadership conference, editorial, and event calendar to inform internal and external stakeholders of Thought Leadership activities and leverage appropriately in conjunction with Executive Director. Manage and support thought leadership events.
- Evaluate opportunities such as speaking engagements, tabling events, and awards and lead Food For Free’s response/presence where appropriate
- Support the Programs Team in volunteer recruitment through web, digital, and print resources
- Assess and continuously develop the organization’s print and online communications collateral: propose, design, and lead production on new materials
- Develop and manage content for website, social media outreach, and collateral materials/templates consistent with current organizational messaging, campaigns, and strategies
- Act as the custodian of Food For Free’s brand internally, by creating and enforcing guidelines and training all departments to maintain brand integrity across all content, channels, and physical spaces
- Create measurable goals and KPIs to track, evaluate, and report out on results across all Marketing and Communications efforts
- Other writing projects as assigned
- Other design projects as assigned
Skills & Qualifications
- 7 to 10 years’ experience required in marketing or a closely related field
- Passion about the mission and vision of the organization.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial, and collaborative environment.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, and the ability to generate enthusiasm and confidence from others.
- Strong organizational skills and experience in managing multiple individuals and projects, with a broad set of goals.
- Strong analytical and research skills with the capacity to create detailed business plans.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with strong attention to detail and familiarity with grammar and writing style standards.
- Experience using digital marketing, marketing automation, and website platforms (e.g. WordPress)
- Ability to work well independently and within teams that include managers, peers, donors, and advisors, and prepared to interact with team members on a non-hierarchical basis.
- Ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders, including Directors, donors, and volunteers.
- Demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel).
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite.
How to Apply
Send a resume and cover letter to Michelle Holcomb via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Senior Manager, Marketing and Communications” in your subject line.
Job posted: 2021-09-06