Senior Manager, Media and Public Relations
The Senior Manager, Media and Public Relations, reports to the Director, Communications and Publications.
Undergraduate degree in communications, journalism, English, or related field and a minimum of three years’ experience
in media relations, communications, and/or public relations are required. Health/medical communications experience is
preferred with emphasis on patient health information and published research in scientific, peer-reviewed journals.
Comprehensive writing/editing and social media skills are required as is an ability to understand complex issues and
translate them into effective strategic communications. Experience dealing with specialty and national media and with
producing successful public relations campaigns is essential. Accountability, precision, accuracy, creativity, project
management, and critical thinking are required as is the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in multiple business
units, leadership, members, and all other stakeholders. Some travel required.
• Develop, execute, and evaluate strategic media and public relations campaigns in collaboration with key stakeholders.
• Manage media relations — fielding media requests for interviews, proactively seeking coverage of Academy and
Foundation initiatives, providing support to the EVP/CEO and any other designated interviewees, developing
professional connections with key medical and health reporters/editors, and managing news service and media
database vendor accounts.
• Serve as lead contributor for social media content and collaborate with the social media team on continual expansion
of social media presence.
• Curate content, edit, contribute, and produce weekly e-newsletter, OTO News.
• Develop communications outreach plans to promote patient health information and ENThealth.org utilizing search
engine optimization tools and digital strategies.
• Support the dissemination of clinical practice guidelines and other AAO-HNSF-published research to Academy
members, related healthcare professionals, the media, and the public.
• Create and implement coordinated communications strategy for the AAO-HNSF journals, Otolaryngology–Head and
Neck Surgery and OTO Open. Coordinate the development of articles related to the Academy’s health observance
campaigns and other assigned topics for the Bulletin (monthly print/digital magazine).
• Develop and execute media and social media plan to publicize the Annual Meeting and its scientific program and
manage the Annual Meeting newsroom.
• Serve as a senior communications writer.
• Serve as staff liaison to the Media and Public Relations Committee, and other committees as assigned.
• Write press releases and other communications materials for print and digital products and platforms.
• Maintain multiple, targeted media lists, and document media articles and references for reporting purposes.
• Produce media kits and primers for spokespersons as needed.
• Maintain select areas of the AAO-HNS/F websites with press-related materials, media and public outreach resource
pages, health observance campaign content, patient information, and other areas as identified.
• Coordinate content development for the weekly e-newsletter, including vertification of ad sales and ad placement.
• Monitor the AAO-HNS member online discussion platform in consultation with communications team.
• May participate on an internal team, either through formal assignment, or on an ad hoc basis.
• Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally
or informally, either orally or in writing.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and salary, expectations through one of the following options:
• Email: Attach a Word document or copy and paste your cover letter and resume and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Mail: AAO-HNSF, 1650 Diagonal Road, VA 22314-2857 Attention: Human Resources
• Fax: 1-703-683-5100
Job posted: 2021-07-23