Senior Manager – Media Relations (96202)
Join Amcor and you can be part of the team that makes the packaging of the future better for people and our planet.
Here at Amcor, we work together every day to make a positive impact on the lives of millions of people across the globe by providing packaging for essential products, including food, beverages, pharmaceutical, medical, home and personal-care.
We are sustainability leaders in our industry. We are the first global packaging company to commit to make all our products recyclable or reusable by 2025. Our products are vital to support the lives of millions of people across the globe every day.
We are always looking for talented and passionate individuals who are motivated to make a difference. Working at Amcor means you will have a unique opportunity to be a part of an organisation that is committed to innovating and driving new solutions to create more sustainable packaging solutions. To find out more about our commitment to sustainability and about Amcor, visit www.amcor.com I LinkedIn I Glassdoor I Facebook I Twitter I YouTube
This role is effectively the Senior Manager External Relations within Amcor’s Corporate Communications team in Zurich/Buffalo Grove, with a clear focus on designing, supporting and contributing to Amcor’s global external relations strategy. The Senior Manager External Relations will be responsible for developing and executing global external communications plans (with a strong focus on digital) and activities to support all Amcor’s businesses, and reflecting business priorities e.g. company’s purpose, core principles, values and behaviours to achieve leading positions in the market. The Senior Manager External Relations will also support the global Public Affairs strategy and where needed act as a key spokesperson for Amcor.
This position is a member of the global Corporate Communications team, located in either Buffalo Grove or Zurich and provides external communications support (and Public Affairs support if possible) to build, strengthen or protect Amcor’s brand and reputation across the globe. This includes developing and executing a proactive external communications strategy for Amcor and its businesses and providing external communications counsel to the Amcor leadership and the (communications leaders of the) businesses.
The Senior Manager External Relations is an external communications expert with a strong and influential (traditional and non-traditional) Public Relations and Public Affairs network who has a proven track record of effective delivery of integrated, multi-channel external communications/PR programs and campaigns. The successful candidate will be a real team player, who can prioritize, plan and coordinate multiple business demands in line with the overall company strategy. A hands-on and digital savvy professional who will focus on execution to drive a core set of deliverables and metrics and who feels comfortable to act as the company spokesperson in case of crisis situations.
Key Objectives and Accountabilities
- Responsible for designing and delivering external communication strategies that drive Amcor’s reputation with key stakeholders and are aligned to the overall company positioning
- Build, strengthen and protect the brand and reputation of Amcor through external campaigns that support Amcor’s overall reputation drivers such as innovation and sustainability
- Together with the businesses, conduct on-going pro-active media and stakeholder relations to build the reputation of Amcor across the globe
- Own and manage media relations and media enquiries for newspapers, websites, radio on any Amcor related business topics
- Systematically grow coverage of key topic in both traditional and digital media outlets via proactive and creative pitching, finding new angles, creating positive, relevant stories and continuous partnership with journalists
- Maintain and develop a network of press and media contacts which reflect Amcor’s target audience
- Act as an official spokesperson for Amcor (first point of contact – media phone and media mailbox)
- Act as the trusted communications advisor to the company’s leadership team; coach executives incl. appropriate media trainings, support framing and developing main message points for successful interview outcomes, prepare engaging speeches, crisp talking points and communications materials for company spokespeople as needed
- Crisis management including hands on support in the event of a crisis such as speaking and providing quotes to reporters, both in writing and on camera
- Lead agency collaboration and maximize outcomes
- Responsibility for maintaining, optimizing and updating the company website on any new materials, close cooperation with the social focals on tailormade content development for various social and digital channels and audiences
- Close partnership with the investor relations team on creating external reporting materials (annual reports etc;)
- Develop and own a global external relations/PR plan that includes:
- Interviews and speaking opportunities plan for Amcor’s leaders and specialists who act as company spokespeople
- Up to date global external editorial calendar and news logs
- Creation of holding statements, press releases and Q&As on relevant issues, together with functional leaders as well as the communications colleagues in the businesses
- Together with the businesses, organize PR events i.e. media briefings, media lunches, planning interviews, Amcor speaker bureau, blogger/vlogger outreach, etc.; develop closer media relations, improve press efforts
- KPI’s and continuous improvement plan, including press release and news website modernization
- Monitor and report progress against agreed external communications (traditional and non- traditional) targets and objectives as defined by the global external relations function and company objectives such as:
- Share of voice
- Tone of voice
- Message penetration, etc.
Requirements for the Job
- University degree in Communications/PR or Journalism preferred, with exceptional writing and presentation skills
- A strong and established network of (traditional and non-traditional) general and specialized media and other key opinion former contacts
- Extensive experience in crisis management, ability to successfully handle disruptive and unexpected events
- Experience working in an international matrix organization
- Confident and professional public speaking skills, including high level of confidence on camera
- 10+ years’ experience in public affairs, traditional and social media relations
- Experience with complex communication issues, crisis communications and spokesmanship
- Understanding of (business to business) market trends and the ability to translate these into communication opportunities
- Ability to effectively manage, collaborate and couch agencies to deliver successful outcomes
- Proven ability to manage and implement both national and global external communications campaigns with a proven track record of digital campaigns and execution
- Pro-active attitude and comfortable working under pressure
- Native English
Amcor is a thriving S&P 500 organisation listed both on the NYSE (AMCR) and ASX (AMC) with US$12.5 billion in sales. We have a proud history dating back to the 1860’s and come a long way from a single paper mill based in Melbourne to becoming the global leading packaging company. Today, Amcor is an international organisation empowering its 47,000 employees in over 40 countries and across 230 sites. Amcor Corporate is headquartered in Zurich, Switzerland and supports the business through its broad range of functions such as in Finance, IT, Commercial, Investor Relations, Human Resources and Business Development.
At Amcor we believe in talent through diversity and promote equal opportunity in the workplace and recognise that discrimination and harassment of co-workers based on race, creed, disability, gender, marital or maternity status, religious or political beliefs, age or sexual orientation is unlawful.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-12