Senior Manager/Principal – Issue Advocacy
The Senior Manager/Principal, Issue Advocacy will be responsible for building and maintaining external relationships with stakeholders and third-party influencers on key legislative and regulatory policies at the federal and state level. This role will build consensus among a robust cross section of external, third-party organizations to support Genentech’s public policy and advocacy goals. The Senior Manager/Principal will be required to take initiative to identify public policy topics of interest to health care stakeholders and Genentech issues and help organize and assist the efforts of other team members as appropriate. The Senior Manager/Principal is a senior member of the Issue Advocacy Team serving as a strategic advisor to members of the External Affairs Team and is a well-known and respected leader in the patient and provider advocacy community. The The Senior Manager/Principal plays an integral part of developing and executing issue advocacy stakeholder engagement plans and strategies.
- Lead issue advocacy engagement on federal and state key focus areas including, but not limited to, drug pricing, patient access, reimbursement and the FDA;
- Developing and sustaining strategic relationships with key external stakeholders, including but not limited to: patient and provider organizations, health care industry associations and other identified third party stakeholders and influencers on priority public policy issues at the federal and state levels;
- Developing and executing strategic stakeholder engagement plans to achieve effective, long-term collaboration on shared key policy issues and to identify opportunities for shared legislative/policy objectives;
- Leveraging full range of issue advocacy tactics, including developing issue advocacy messaging, coalition building and grassroots/tops activation;
- Identification of public policy advocacy opportunities where Genentech’s expertise and point of view is both needed and valuable;
- Provide strategic counsel on appropriate engagement of third party stakeholders and the political and policy landscape to key internal home office and ecosystem stakeholders; and
- Cultivating a unified philosophy through work with others in the Access & External Affairs Department to achieve issue advocacy and Department goals.
- A BA or BS is required. Qualified candidates should have an understanding of the legislative and political process
- Strong relationships with patient and provider organizations preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in coalition development and working with a variety of stakeholders, and ability to proactively drive objectives by effectively bring individuals together.
- The candidate must have demonstrated persuasive advocacy and negotiation skills, excellent judgment and political instincts
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills, the ability to speak and write persuasively, strong organizational skills and flexibility and adaptability to changing requirements and fluid organizational environment
- The candidate must be a motivated individual who can provide strategic direction while working collaboratively as part of a government affairs team.
This role will use the following skills/competencies to advance Department, team and cross-functional business objectives and achieve results:
- Technical & Business Expertise: Have a comprehensive understanding of both federal and state legislative and regulatory policy issues and experience deploying broad issue advocacy strategies. This role will have a clear understanding of strategies and tactics required to advance an agenda while maintaining influence and credibility in a multi-stakeholder environment. The Principal must have demonstrated persuasive advocacy and negotiation skills, excellent judgment and political instincts.
- Relationship Management: The Principal should have a demonstrated ability to develop, evaluate and maintain relationships with influential stakeholders including patient and provider organizations, and other third party health care influencers. The Principal must operate with the highest ethical and professional standards and in accordance with guidelines, strategic, and key business direction.
- Achieving Results: The Principal will identify internal and external opportunities to engage third party stakeholders in issue advocacy, and support the team to drive for positive results. The Principal will support leadership in setting short and long term objectives and will work with team members to facilitate successful engagement with internal and external stakeholders.
- Communication: The Principal will translate complex policy and political dynamics and tailor messages to a wide variety of audiences. The Principal will engage with internal and external individuals and groups to achieve alignment on key issues, actions and initiatives.
- Strategic Agility: The Principal will develop and manage projects and issue priorities effectively and efficiently, with the ability to multi-task simultaneously on competing priorities. The Principal will strategically engage third-party advocates on priority policy issues, appropriately adjusting to each groups’ point of view and position to align objectives.
- Teamwork & Collaboration: The Principal will develop, evaluate and maintain relationships with patient and provider advocacy organizations and other third-party stakeholders. The Principal will collaborate across the External Affairs team, Access & External Affairs Department, and full Genentech Organization to achieve results.
- Feedback & Coaching: As a senior team member, the Principal will observe others, share feedback and help guide their colleagues with the intention to support their growth and enhance their impact. The Principal will serve in formal and informal mentoring roles across the team and larger Department.
- Inspiring & Influencing: The Principal will generate and effectively promote new ideas and opportunities while leveraging the unique thoughts and viewpoints of others. The Principal is able to work effectively with other people over whom they have no direct authority.
- A BA or BS is required.
- Experience and strong relationships with patient and provider organizations preferred.
- This position is based in Genentech’s Washington, DC office and requires travel to internal and external events/meetings (when travel resumes).
- I put the patient first, always.
- I am obsessed with meeting customer needs.
- I act on behalf of the whole company, not just my team.
- I am inclusive.
- I build a culture of trust.
- I have a growth mindset.
- I act with urgency.
- I am accountable.
- I radically simplify & prioritize for impact.
- I follow the science.
- I build our reputation.
Who We Are
Genentech, a member of the Roche group and founder of the biotechnology industry, is dedicated to pursuing groundbreaking science to discover and develop medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases. To solve the world’s most complex health challenges, we ask bigger questions that challenge our industry and the boundaries of science to transform society. Our transformational discoveries include the first targeted antibody for cancer and the first medicine for primary progressive multiple sclerosis.
Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) are critical to the success of our company and our impact on society. We believe that by championing diversity of background, thought and experience, we can foster a sense of belonging and provide an environment where every employee feels valued, included, and able to contribute their best for the patients we serve. We’re focused on attracting, retaining, developing and advancing our people to their full potential by rewarding bold ways of thinking and integrating inclusive behaviors into every aspect of our work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the “Apply for this job” button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
Job posted: 2021-01-13