Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Manager, Public Affairs
The Senior Manager, Public Affairs will engage with key stakeholders across the international development and humanitarian assistance community and work to elevate Global Communities’ brand by identifying opportunities for external engagement, creating and disseminating content highlighting programmatic impact, and advancing organizational experts’ participation in public events to promote technical expertise, programmatic success and thought leadership. Focusing on identified target audiences, including policymakers, funders, multilateral institutions and partner organizations, the Senior Manager will take a leadership role in developing and deploying creative approaches to external engagement across a wide range of channels.
Responsibility Area: Thought Leadership and Brand Awareness
- The Senior Manager will work in close partnership with internal stakeholders, including technical experts across the organization, regional directors, country directors, chiefs of party and others, to collaboratively identify areas of programmatic impact, innovation or newsworthy developments to share in the public arena, and to create, edit, produce and deploy public-facing materials highlighting these programmatic successes.
- In coordination with relevant global colleagues and programmatic departments, positions Global Communities’ programmatic work, expertise and impact in relation to current trends, newsworthy developments, and policy conversations among target audiences.
- Works to advance the Global Communities brand among key stakeholders by delivering engaging content that highlights the thought leadership of the organization and its internal experts in priority technical or programmatic areas.
- Proactively works to connect global staff, their experience and successes with target audiences, creating or supporting opportunities to showcase thought leadership, programmatic impact or technical expertise to policymakers at all levels, donors, funders, stakeholders and peer or partner organizations.
- Represents the organization at external events, meetings, conferences or other engagement opportunities.
- Develops and executes creative thought leadership opportunities, including but not limited to in person or virtual events, briefings, panels or webinars, to showcase Global Communities’ work to high-profile audiences.
- Develops strategies to highlight aspects of Global Communities’ work most likely to reach target audiences and proactively creates opportunities and content to position Global Communities as a publicly recognized expert on these topics.
Responsibility Area: External Relations and Engagement
- Advances organizational brand by developing and maintaining strong relationships with external stakeholders, which may include policymakers in the U.S. government or multilateral institutions, opinion leaders at think tanks, peers at partner organizations, journalists or other influencers.
- Leads public engagement around specific policy areas defined as strategic priorities for Global Communities, including but not limited to: upholding humanitarian principles and access in conflict zones, the humanitarian-development-peace “triple nexus,” and multisectoral, climate-informed health, food security and nutrition programming.
- Provides advice on organizational public affairs strategy, including time and other resource allocation for events, conferences, panels, presentations, hearings and other external engagement opportunities.
- Serves as a key point of contact for Global Communities’ memberships with professional organizations (such as InterAction, MFAN and USGLC) from a public affairs perspective, working to advance and support the advocacy positions of the international development community through active engagement in stakeholder groups, umbrella coalitions and working groups.
- Trains global peers and colleagues in best practices for communicating with external stakeholders.
Responsibility Area: Writing, editing and content creation
- As an excellent writer with sound editorial judgement, the Senior Manager will contribute to or create high-quality documents appropriate for external release, including white papers, position papers, success stories, or fact sheets and work to build or expand platforms for sharing this content with target audiences.
- Collaborates with other members of the Communications Team to support the creation of compelling content showcasing Global Communities’ programmatic work, such as infographics, videos, photo essays or other multimedia products.
- Writes and edits public-facing documents, consistent with editorial standards and brand and style guidelines, exercising independent editorial judgment to clear materials for release to external stakeholders.
- Partners with in-house content creators and technical experts to create, edit and/or disseminate materials promoting Global Communities’ programmatic success and organizational impact. Examples include policy papers, white papers, analysis and research studies, op-eds, webinars, events, press releases, videos or other materials.
- Works in close coordination with internal stakeholders to develop topical thought leadership content for distribution across a broad range of publications and outlets.
- Delivers polished, compelling content based on critical information, data, findings, inputs or reports provided by program teams or global experts.
POSITION SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- International and U.S. travel required, expected less than 10% of the time
- This position is eligible for hybrid remote status. The successful candidate will be located in the Washington, DC metro area, with availability to commute approximately twice a week to meetings and events in downtown DC and the surrounding area and/or Global Communities’ Silver Spring, Maryland office.
- Promote a culture of excellence, inclusion, learning, support, diversity and innovation
- Oversees data, analytics or reporting related to areas of expertise.
- Contribute to advancing Global Communities’ strategic priority of elevating areas of expertise with effective outreach and contributing to a forward-looking global dialogue
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the international development and humanitarian assistance sector, including core principles, policies and operating models is required.
- An existing network of professional relationships and contacts among identified target audiences, such as policymakers in the U.S. government or multilateral institutions, opinion leaders at think tanks, peers at partner organizations, journalists or other influencers is preferred.
- Experience creating events and opportunities across multiple communications platforms to successfully increase brand awareness, promote thought leadership, or advance policy positions.
- Proven superior ability to write for public audiences, including ability to distill complex, technical programmatic content for consumption by non-technical audiences.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills with ability to proofread copy for accurate style and grammatical usage. Proven impeccable editing skills and sound editorial judgement.
- English fluency required. Ability in Spanish, French, or Arabic a plus.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision to complete projects and meet deadlines.
- Superior interpersonal and relationship building skills, including proven ability to build collaborative, impactful relationships with a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent organizational skills, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Undergraduate degree in a related discipline and a minimum of six years of related work experience or a minimum of ten years of related work experience.
- A passion for the mission and values of Global Communities
Job posted: 2022-11-15