Senior Manager – Public Affairs
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Senior Manager for the Public Affairs team to support its executive communications and creative and paid media operations for PhRMA’s advocacy priorities. The Senior Manager will be responsible for developing communications in support of PhRMA’s mission and advocacy efforts including, but not limited to:
- Developing presentations for PhRMA’s CEO, Board of Directors, and committee meetings;
- Working with the public affairs campaign team to develop digital assets and content consistent with PhRMA priorities and assisting in the management of digital consultants workflow and quality;
- Collaborating with public affairs colleagues to ensure that PhRMA’s messaging and style guidelines are used consistently across online and offline materials;
- Managing the process, development, and posting online content for PhRMA.org, PhRMA social channels and managing the editorial calendar for the Catalyst blog;
- Assisting with the development of state and federal digital advocacy campaigns; and,
- Oversee the daily community management of key PhRMA online communities.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a proactive, confident, action-oriented and meticulous colleague who is passionate about influencing today’s health care debate and impacting challenges the biopharmaceutical industry faces in innovating for patients in the United States and around the world. Key success factors for this role include a strong sense of teamwork, keen eye for detail, ability to incorporate and implement feedback, as well as the ability to manage multiple overlapping deadlines and workstreams. Experience with Microsoft Office, specifically PowerPoint, familiarity with AP Style, and experience developing, drafting and editing executive-level communications are a prerequisite.
The preferred candidate will bring previous experience with executive communications (i.e., corporate, statehouse, Capitol Hill, Federal agency, trade or professional association) in a highly dynamic, fast-paced, high-visibility and deadline-driven environment. The candidate will be an organized, detail- oriented self-starter with excellent writing skills and the ability to anticipate, manage and staff an executive.
Experience with health care and the federal or state legislative process is strongly preferred but not required.
This is a highly-visible, fast-paced position that is both internally and externally facing. Accordingly, the successful candidate should be adaptable, process-driven, able to reprioritize and shift gears quickly, comfortable in a high-pressure environment and be politically savvy, diplomatic, responsive and mature.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree
- Health care issue experience preferred;
- Minimum of 3-5 years of diverse communications experience on Capitol Hill, or within corporate, public relations agency, trade association, and/or advocacy organization(s) or political campaigns;
- A results-oriented team player – corporate, political and/or trade association experience preferred with a keen understanding of organizational operations/dynamics;
- Ability to build confidence within the organization and with external constituencies;
- Ability to balance the needs of various internal and external parties with flexibility and a steady temperament.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested nearly $1 trillion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $83 billion in 2019 alone.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-20