Senior Manager, Public Affairs, Advocacy & Media – Tax – (1900002B)
Summary of Role
Drive integrated media awareness and public affairs activities that support and advance the AICPA’s interests in U.S. tax policy and regulation. Develop a broad range of campaigns and programs that are consistent, technically accurate and aligned with AICPA messages and goals. Successfully guide the media team’s positioning of the AICPA’s tax policy messages across a wide variety of audiences and media platforms. Provide daily, short-term and long-term strategic media relations counsel to the AICPA’s federal and tax advocacy teams.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Lead proactive and reactive tax policy strategic planning and media relations, including development of story angles and message points that accurately reflect AICPA’s positions and enhance the CPA brand, monitoring of interviews when appropriate. Provide similar counsel to state societies when appropriate.
- Develop integrated, strategic media relations plans, including activities, events, messaging and positioning. Implement those plans through comprehensive tactics to meet stated outcomes for success.
- Transform highly technical, complex and sensitive information into user-friendly language and innovative media relations programs that foster high awareness and engagement.
- Develop and execute appropriate media relations programs to achieve national and local coverage in support of individual Institute teams and projects.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with national, local, business and trade reporters to maintain open channels for promoting AICPA and profession. Work with reporters to make sure that AICPA serves as a responsive and critical source of information on the CPA profession and to facilitate the best possible representation.
- Write and oversee the development of press releases, message points, issues briefings, Web content, video scripts, surveys, polls and other media vehicles necessary for increasing media coverage and getting the AICPA’s and affiliates message to the media and the public.
- Prepare and counsel senior executives, volunteers and other AICPA spokespeople to ensure effective media interviews and appropriate management and messaging around sensitive issues.
- Research, recommend and deliver relevant content on tax advocacy and other initiatives as needed.
- Maintain and seek continuous improvement in the content and presentation of the Online Media Center to show the AICPA in the most advantageous light to members of the press.
- Prepare metric reports including analysis on projects and deliverables for distribution to internal stakeholders.
- Attend legislative or regulatory hearings, industry briefings and other stakeholder meetings as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
- Strong strategic thinking and analysis skills, including the capacity to take smart risks
- Knowledge of the financial services, accounting and/or tax media landscape, positive media relationships
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, experience working with senior executives and collaborating across an organization to achieve desired results
- Knowledge of the Washington, DC public policy arena, legislative process and regulatory environment
- Strong working knowledge of the media, extensive established media contacts, and demonstrated ability to interface effectively with them at the national and grassroots levels
- Ability to translate technical information into user-friendly, compelling messages and campaigns
- Expert level knowledge and experience in applying, improving and directing others in scanning multiple media channels and the ability to understand relevant trends within the profession
- Deadline oriented and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously under deadline
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Some travel may be required
Required Experience, Qualifications & Education
- Experience in a legislative or regulatory office, corporate communications, agency or newsroom environment demonstrating the ability to produce and manage media opportunities in a fast-paced environment
- Experience and knowledge of the CPA profession and/or the financial services industry
- 10 years’ experience in communications/media relations/public affairs
- Bachelors degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or a related discipline
Preferred Experience, Qualifications & Education
- Graduate Degree
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-03-20