Senior Manager, Public Affairs Communications
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more, and we’re dedicated to this mission across every aspect of our company. On Microsoft’s Public Affairs Communications Team you’ll join a group of professionals focused on telling stories that demonstrate the company’s commitment to building trust and contributing to solutions for some of the world’s big challenges. The Public Affairs Communications Team is also part of the broader Microsoft Communications Group, so you’ll join a large, diverse community of professionals focused on innovative communications, and you’ll have significant opportunities for career growth.
The Public Affairs Communications Team works on issues at the intersection of technology, public policy, and societal impact. We manage external communications on topics that drive daily news cycles and public discussion about the impact of technology around the world. We’re part of a larger a multi-disciplinary team with communications, marketing, and government affairs professionals.
We’re looking for an experienced corporate communications professional with 8+ years’ experience to manage communications on a range of topics. The overall team works on communications for cybersecurity, defending democracy, digital safety, privacy, accessibility, ethics in artificial intelligence, litigation, and environmental sustainability; this role would manage communications on a subset of issues like these. The ideal candidate will feel comfortable managing communications for high-stakes issues, be familiar with technology, and have a background in public policy issues.
You’ll be working cross-company and with our customers, partners, policymakers, and organizations around the world to advance communications efforts. You will tell stories, lead communications moments and announcements, manage reactive issues, and engage reporters.
The role is preferably based at Microsoft headquarters in Redmond, Washington but candidates based in New York, San Francisco, or Washington DC may also be considered.
- Developing and executing communications strategies to help advance the company’s key initiatives
- Shaping our message and tell our story to increase the impact of the company’s work
- Provide communications counsel to executives
- Provide strategic guidance to business groups and the global communications team
- Managing relationships with top tier reporters around the world
- Managing PR agency team as integral members of our extended team
- Helping to drive integrated execution of communications campaigns across the Public Affairs team, and with other teams in CELA
- 8 or more years of experience in communications for policy or corporate communications topics
- Experience in media relations
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience
- Exceptional communications skills
- Ability to manage complex issues in an incredibly fast-changing environment
- Understanding of evolving communications trends like social and digital media
- Ability to collaborate effectively within a team and across complex cross-group organizations
- Proven track record for new, innovative earned media approaches and smart risk taking
- Experience in driving proactive and impactful communications campaigns and media relations
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-15