Senior Manager, Public Affairs Diabetes Care
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Our location in Alameda, California, currently has an opportunity for a Senior Manager, Public Affairs – Diabetes Care. The Public Affairs function for Abbott’s diabetes care business has global responsibility for public relations activities for the world-leading sensing technology platform including FreeStyle Libre for people with diabetes and Abbott’s Libre Sense Glucose Sport Biosensor designed for athletic performance.
The successful candidate is passionate about consumer technology and its impact on human health. Seeking a candidate who is a strong storyteller in consumer, tech, and health, and has a proven-track record of top-tier media relations skills, can create compelling internal and external content, manage and anticipate crisis and issues, and develop international PR programming. The candidate will be self-motivated and nimble, thrive in a fast-paced dynamic environment, and have experience in supporting and executing successful PR and communications programs. Seeking a candidate with an ability to manage multiple projects across time zones, experience in working with other PR teams, agencies and has experience in managing crisis scenarios (pro-active and reactive), and supporting employee communications.
The position will report directly to the the Head of Public Affairs for Abbott’s diabetes care business. All division PA functions have a line reporting relationship to Corporate Public Affairs.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Provide strategic counsel to marketing groups, internal/external clients, and country-level leadership on business-related efforts and initiatives; partner with various stakeholders including regulatory affairs, operations, quality, R&D, HR, government affairs, investor relations, legal, finance and senior management.
- Support the development and execution of external public relations strategies and approaches for key global product launches/filings, key clinical and real-world data, product awareness programs/outreach and influencer programming.
- Work extensively with U.S. and international business, including affiliates and public affairs colleagues outside of the U.S. as well as agency partners. Assist director in developing plans, content, and supporting communication needs of country managers and affiliates around the world.
- Oversee PR agency management and/or PR agency selection process as needed.
- Work extensively with top-tier business, technology, lifestyle and consumer reporters (both proactively and reactively) to enhance and protect the company’s reputation as well as advance business objectives.
- Develop compelling consumer-focused storylines, positioning and key messaging for the business.
- Assist with executive communications strategy and development of internal communication materials.
- Identify and anticipate issues and working with appropriate functions to counsel management on reputation/business impact and influence business decision making process.
- Develop multimedia, content and social and digital strategies to complement key Public Affairs campaigns. Bring to the table an understanding of today’s communications environment amongst earned, owned, social and paid media and how to align and maximize opportunities provided by these channels for Abbott’s glucose sensing technology.
- Set metrics to measure effectiveness of internal and external communication efforts.
- Coach senior divisional executives, businesses, regions and third-party spokespeople on delivery of key messages.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications, business, marketing or related field is required.
- 7+ years of experience in public relations and media relations, with a deep understanding of how to use external communications to enhance reputation.
- Experience in healthcare, technology and/or direct-to-consumer communications preferred.
- Strong contacts and working relationships with a variety of top tier media. Proven ability in placing media stories and managing relationships with U.S. top-tier technology, lifestyle, consumer and business media; experience with international media and media landscapes.
- Consistent track record of excellent professional writing, communication and project management skills.
- Strong experience in developing compelling content for product communications and developing key positioning, messaging, toolkits.
- Experience in working in a regulated environment.
- Able to achieve results while dealing with ambiguity, discretion, and a rapid pace of change.
- Experience working with and counseling senior management.
- Exhibits strong judgement and executive presence.
- Experience in crisis communication and exhibits anticipatory thinking.
- Proven experience in leading digital, social media and influencer projects to build brands.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- TRAINING AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- FINANCIAL SECURITY through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- HEALTH CARE AND WELL-BEING PROGRAMS including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- PAID TIME OFF
- 401(K) retirement savings with a generous company match
- THE STABILITY OF A COMPANY with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR BENEFITS THAT ADD REAL VALUE TO YOUR LIFE TO HELP YOU LIVE FULLY: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-08