Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Manager of Public Policy Campaigns
WHO WE ARE
The Humane League (THL) is a global nonprofit ending the abuse of animals raised for food. THL fosters a high-energy culture of teamwork and mission-driven problem solving, and we have earned recognition as Top Charity from Animal Charity Evaluators for all of their rating periods. Over the past few years, we’ve grown to a staff of 90+ talented individuals dispersed across the country and around the world.
The Humane League is launching a new national alliance of state and local animal protection and food policy advocacy groups that include animals raised for food among their legislative priorities. The purpose of this alliance is to facilitate sharing of resources and best practices, provide trainings, develop and coordinate strategies for public policy campaigns and provide the capacity building and support necessary for those strategies to succeed.
As the Senior Manager of Public Policy Campaigns, you will be accountable for developing and leading impactful public policy campaigns and lobbying strategies at the state and local level, hiring and managing a public policy campaign team (starting with one staff member), and advising alliance member groups. This position reports directly to the Director of Public Policy.
This is a full-time, remote position. This position requires domestic travel, this is equivalent to approximately 3-6 trips per year. We are only able to consider applicants who reside in the United States and possess United States work authorization.
The application deadline has been extended, applications will be accepted and reviewing on an ongoing basis until filled.
- In partnership with the Senior Manager of the Public Policy Alliance, overseeing the coordination of member groups around local, state and national public policy campaigns.
- Overseeing the development, evaluation and execution of campaign plans in close partnership with local, state, and national animal protection groups.
- Working closely with alliance member groups to advise them on the development and implementation of their campaign plans.
- Hiring and managing contract lobbyists, public opinion research firms, public relations strategy firms, and constituent data analytics firms.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with local and state-level animal protection groups that include farmed animal and/or food policy initiatives among their legislative priorities.
- Hiring, managing, developing, training, and mentoring a public policy campaign team. This includes providing vision and role clarity, leadership, coaching, training, and accountability.
- Working with direct reports to develop and implement objective performance measurements to ensure consistent, high-quality evaluation and goal-setting.
- Overseeing the provision of support to members of THL’s new public policy alliance in the deployment of constituency data systems, targeting analytics, tools and information systems.
- Overseeing the provision of strategic support to alliance members to leverage data and targeting to help design, implement and evaluate public policy campaigns.
- Coordinating with THL’s public policy researchers and partner groups’ policy researchers to identify opportunities to introduce and pass new legislation to protect farmed animals or reduce consumption of animal products.
- Leading and overseeing the planning of strategic discussions at the alliance’s inaugural national summit and subsequent annual summits, and in regular conference calls and online alliance chat forums such as Slack.
- Creating timely post-campaign reports to leverage key learnings for future campaign strategies for short term and long term planning purposes.
- In collaboration with THL’s Communications department, overseeing the development and implementation of public relations strategies to support legislative initiatives. This could include drafting press releases, media advisories, op-eds, and letters to the editor.
- Representing and speaking on behalf of THL and the alliance in the news media, public hearings, national conferences, webinars, panels, and networking events.
- Overseeing and advising on the development of lobbying and education materials, including but not limited to fact sheets, letters, action alerts, and blogs.
- Overseeing coordination with THL’s Organizing Team to mobilize THL’s grassroots supporters around Alliance member organizations’ legislative priorities.
- Supporting the work of a 501(c)(4) advocacy entity affiliated with The Humane League. This will include tracking all time spent working on tasks for the 501(c)(4).
- Tracking and reporting time spent advising on or planning lobbying activities, and potentially registering as a lobbyist, where applicable.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 5 years experience leading public policy campaigns, or 3 years such experience plus a JD or a graduate degree in law or a public policy-related field, or 3 years such experience plus 2 years working full time in a legislature.
- Exceptional policy strategist and project manager with demonstrated ability to develop and execute legislative campaign strategies, plan backwards, and manage tactical execution to achieve results on or ahead of schedule, without crises.
- Substantial experience lobbying or working with legislators with demonstrated intricate knowledge and comprehension of legislative and regulatory processes and the underlying political dynamics of those processes.
- Outstanding relationship-building and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate directly and respectfully with colleagues and engage with a wide range of stakeholders and cultures, with a track record of effective external partnerships.
- Experience hiring and managing the work of contract lobbyists, public relations strategy firms, public opinion research firms, and/or constituent data analytics firms.
- Demonstrated experience Shares The Humane League’s dedication to increasing diversity, equity and inclusion in the animal protection movement.
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency with contemporary office software applications, organizing platforms, peer-to-peer texting, and constituent databases as tools for strategic engagement, reporting, and accountability, and with social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, and/or Instagram. Demonstrated ability to learn new software quickly and objectively.
Starting salary $79,900 or salary to commensurate with experience.
Employees enjoy full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan, optional companion animal discount plans, working from home, up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave for eligible employees, paid holidays, flexible vacation time, professional development, and the supportive environment at The Humane League!
At The Humane League (THL), animal welfare is at the forefront of our everyday work. As such, many of our staff are vegan by personal choice, and all of our THL-hosted events offer fully vegan menus. We welcome all mission-aligned candidates to apply, no matter where you are in your journey to end the abuse of animals raised for food.
The Humane League is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with laws and in furtherance of our commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
The Humane League is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please email People Operations (firstname.lastname@example.org) and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-09-20