Senior Manager Public Policy & Research
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 392 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
Reporting directly to the Head of Global Public Policy and Research based in Washington DC, and working closely with the Blockchain, Crypto and Digital Currencies (BCDC) Business Unit the Senior Manager of Public Policy and Research is responsible for helping to drive policy related to digital assets, blockchain, and related technologies around the world. The Senior Manager will provide strategic advice, policy and legal analysis, external relationship management, and thought leadership around digital assets. This person will respond to inquiries from Government Relations colleagues, monitor trends, synthesize emerging public policy trends and respond to inquiries from government stakeholders. The Senior Manager will work alongside other colleagues on the team contributing to best-in-class public policy research to enable PP’s advocacy to make a positive difference to discussions on key issues related to blockchain, crypto, and digital currencies. The Senior Manager will be expected to work with internal and external experts that may contribute to the work including data scientists, economists, and lawyers. The Senior Manager will also advocate PayPal’s positions on public policy before a number of internal and external stakeholders. Finally, the role will require integration and cooperation with Legal, Compliance, and Corporate Communications teams focused on BCDC.
The Senior Manager of Global Public Policy will:
- Work closely with Head of Global Public Policy and Head of Global Government Relations to chart out PayPal’s policy positions going forward;
- Support PayPal’s global Government Relations team with long form and short form written materials
- Monitor legislative and executive/regulatory initiatives impacting PayPal globally, and strategically guide specific Government Relations campaigns (e.g. on literacy around crypto assets);
- Participate in trade associations focused on global public policy;
- Draft and contribute to public policy and thought leadership papers;
- Advocate PayPal’s policy positions at conferences, in meetings, and internally;
- Coordinate with internal teams on cross-functional projects;
- Some travel to Asia, Europe, and around the US, when necessary.
- At least ten years of public policy experience in the areas of financial services and/or technology.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent academic qualifcation, with a law degree, masters in business administration, or public policy masters preferred.
Skills & Abilities required:
- Entreprenuerial nature that can engage in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment, with limited day-to-day hands-on managerial direction.
- Flexible team player, adaptable and resourceful, able to work independently and collaboratively as appropriate, able to consistently exercise sound judgment, with a significant degree of self-motivation, and the ability to collaborate pro-actively with other functions with limited direct supervision.
- Multi-disiplinary background and approach to problem solving, with willingness and curiousity to learn new things, and connect and apply knowledge across domains.
- Excellent communication skills; integrated communications experience a plus.
- Excellent written skills, previous publications are a plus.
- Strong understanding and experience in public policy, with know-how and experience in the area of digital assets, financial services, payments, ecommerce and/or technology.
What we offer?
- A supportive and diverse environment that allows our employees to thrive and learn.
- Flexible working.
- Attractive compensation and benefits.
- A socially innovative company that helps communities world wide through charitable giving or donation of time.
- A green, sustainable working environment.
From the moment that you join our team we aspire to make your employment experience an outstanding and engaging one. The PayPal family is passionate and proud of our company. It is this vigor and attitude that helps us execute well, every day. If you are enthusiastic and thrive in a collaborative and friendly environment then we invite you to learn more, explore opportunities, and discover a place for you.
We’re a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-13