Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Manager, Public Relations
Child Care Aware® of America, our nation’s leading voice for childcare, works with more than 450 state and local Child Care Resource and Referral (CCR&R) agencies to ensure that families in every local community have access to quality, affordable childcare. Child Care Aware of America is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce. Our mission is to advance a childcare system that effectively serves all children and families. Joining our efforts provides a powerful opportunity to make a difference in the lives of families.
CCAoA is currently recruiting for a Senior Manager, Public Relations. This position will further Child Care Aware® of America’s mission by developing and implementing media, communications, and public relations strategies designed to inform and engage the public.
Essential responsibilities for this phenomenal career opportunity, include but not limited to the following:
- Develop strategic and tactical implementation plans to increase awareness of CCAoA’s brand.
- Develop and implement publicity strategies for CCAoA’s resources, partnerships, and services
- Create and manage a PR plan, including budgets, timelines, etc.
- Develop and implement strategies to position the CEO and other key members of the executive team as thought leaders in the child care field.
- Develop and implement organization-wide messaging maps aligned with CCAoA strategic priorities.
- Develop, track and report on KPIs for media relations work.
- Analyze all media coverage of the organization and support drafting of appropriate responses.
- Coach and prep organization spokespersons for media interviews and other external events with research, talking points, interview tips, etc.
- Create media strategies and collateral (media plans, press releases, media advisories, talking points, etc.) to support the launch of CCAoA reports, initiatives, and programs.
- Coordinate, draft, and publish CCAoA content on executive staff’s social media accounts.
- Proactively develop story ideas and pitch those ideas to selected media outlets.
- Liaise with marketing, communication, policy, and other departments to create and implement external communications and media relations.
- Serve as the key contact for press and media inquiries.
- Draft press releases, statements, blog posts, and coordinate op-eds and letters to the editor.
- Follow the work of campaigns, groups, and coalitions that CCAoA is a part of (specifically, their press needs and plans).
- Utilize CCAoA’s CRM, HubSpot, to record and track interactions with the media as well as an executive staff social media accounts.
- Collaborate with MarCom team leads on campaigns and initiatives, building out content calendars or other tactical elements.
- Create, develop and manage content for the organization’s media center.
- Manage PR platforms, including the development of distribution lists, press release distribution, and regular collection of success metrics.
- Oversee relationship between executive staff and media coach.
The key qualifications for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field
- At least 5-7 years working in a national organization, preferably in the communications department
- Experience working with national media
- Strong writing and organizational skills
- Working knowledge of social media strategies and best practices
The ideal successful candidate will have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Excellent public relations and social media skills
- Experience with PR software, e.g., Cision, PR Newswire
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong multi-tasking skills and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated planning skills and excellent analytical skills
- Extensive skills with Microsoft Office products
- Experience with HubSpot or similar CRM tools, a plus
- Ability to work independently, in teams, and with members of the media
- Ability to work closely and effectively with top CCAoA executives
- Ability to offer creative ideas about media strategies
- Ability to see “the big picture” of projects but also undertake the details in a timely manner to achieve project objectives
- Ability to look for creative solutions to overcome challenges
- Ability to translate reports to an easy-to-understand format for social media and members of the press
- Ability to travel and train member agency staff in outreach and media strategies
- Ability to collect and analyze relevant metrics to show success and growth opportunities
Local candidates, must work on-site at 1515 N. Courthouse Road, Arlington, VA with option for a hybrid work schedule after 90 days of employment.
Compensation, Benefits and More
We offer competitive benefits and compensation ($79k-$102k annually). Our generous benefits package includes health insurance (medical, dental, vision and supplementary options), 401k, life insurance, short term disability, training, and professional development opportunities.
How to Apply:
Please forward a letter of interest, your salary requirement including your current resume.
Child Care Aware® of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer & Drug-Free Workplace.
This position requires the completion of a satisfactory background check. As a condition of employment with Child Care Aware® of America, all new employees must provide proof of vaccination on the first day of their employment.
Job posted: 2022-09-21