Senior Manager, Public Relations
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Senior Manager, Public Relations will further Child Care Aware® of America’s mission by
developing and implementing media, communications and public relations strategies designed to
inform and engage the public. The Senior Manager, Public Relations will coordinate with other
departments to develop and implement media outreach strategies; develop and implement
strategies to position the Executive Director; Chief of Policy, Advocacy and Programs; and other
executive staff as key spokespersons and thought leaders for the child care field; pitch media
stories, draft press releases and develop press relationships; collaborate with other Marketing,
Communications & Development staff to maintain consistent design and updated content for
organization’s media center; manage PR platform, including the development of distribution lists,
press release distribution, and collection of success metrics; and other duties as assigned.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop strategic and tactical implementation plans to increase awareness of CCAoA’s
• Develop and implement strategies to position the Executive Director and other key
members of the executive team as thought leaders in the child care field.
• Coach key staff in media relations and how to serve as organization spokespersons.
• Prep organization spokespersons for media interviews and other external events with
research, talking points, interview tips, etc.
• Create media strategies and collateral (media plans, press releases, media advisories,
talking points, etc.) to support the launch of CCAoA reports, initiatives and programs.
• Proactively develop story ideas and pitch those ideas to selected media outlets.
• Liaise with marketing, communication, policy, and other departments to create and
implement external communications and media relations.
• Serve as the key contact for press and media inquiries
• Draft press releases, statements, blog posts, and coordinate op-eds and letters to the
• Follow the work of campaigns, groups and coalitions that Child Care Aware® of America is
a part of (specifically, their press needs and plans).
• Create, develop and manage content for organization’s media center.
• Manage PR platforms, including the development of distribution lists, press release
distribution, and regular collection of success metrics.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field
• At least 5-7 years working in a national organization, preferably in the communications
• Experience working with national media
• Strong writing and organizational skills
• Working knowledge of social media strategies and best practices
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent public relations and social networking skills
• Experience with PR software, e.g., Cision, PR newswire
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Strong multi-tasking skills and attention to detail
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated planning skills and excellent analytical skills
• Extensive skills with Microsoft Office products
• Ability to work independently, in teams, and with members of the media
• Ability to work closely and effectively with top CCAoA executives
• Ability to multi-task in fast-paced environment
• Ability to offer creative ideas about media strategies
• Ability to see “the big picture” of projects but also undertake the details in a timely
manner to achieve project objectives
• Ability to look for creative solutions to overcome challenges
• Ability to translate reports to an easy-to-understand format for social media and
members of the press
• Ability to travel and train member agency staff in outreach and media strategies
• Ability to collect and analyze relevant metrics to show success and growth
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-11-14