Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Manager, State Advocacy
CLC is seeking a Senior Manager, State Advocacy to help us advance democracy in the states and fight against the threat of election sabotage. This role will focus on preventing efforts to burden the right to vote and partisan interference in election administration, particularly in post-election processes. The Senior Manager, State Advocacy will be a key member of CLC’s policy team and will be integral in building CLC’s work to ensure all votes are counted and electoral results are honored. The Senior Manager will collaborate with our full team to create and implement initiatives to protect the independence of election officials and strengthen electoral processes in key states.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Policy & Strategic Partnerships, the Senior Manager, State Advocacy will partner with other members of the policy team to build strategic efforts to strengthen and protect election processes in the states. The Senior Manager will be responsible for building and maintaining strong relationships with other advocacy organizations from across the political spectrum, particularly in key states, and retaining and overseeing in-state lobbyists and consultants. The ideal candidate will have superb communication skills, excellent political judgment, and be a creative problem solver. The work for this position is planned through early 2025, with the possibility of extension based on organizational needs and budget constraints.
- Develop and lead strategic projects aimed at strengthening election processes in the states and bolstering democratic norms in key states.
- Participate in and build relationships within state coalitions in support of strategic projects to protect our democracy.
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop advocacy and education efforts that will support our work in an integrated advocacy approach.
- Retain and oversee in-state lobbyists and consultants.
- Work with state officials, experts, and coalitions to advance effective policy.
- Develop topics for, and author, blogs, op-eds, and other policy and advocacy materials.
- Monitor public policy debates and make strategic decisions about where CLC should engage most effectively, especially regarding watch-dogging and policy reform efforts.
- Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders to identify strategic opportunities and effectively use CLC’s legal expertise.
- Moderate travel will be required for this position.
- relevant experience managing and organizing teams, preferably in the democracy space (political campaigns/issue advocacy campaigns/public policy work)
- Demonstrated ability to design and lead advocacy efforts, particularly at the state level
- Experience building external partnerships and coalitions
- Experience developing and managing projects
- Experience in legislative lobbying, drafting, or staffing
- Demonstrated interest in campaign finance, voting rights, redistricting, or government ethics issues
- Strong research and writing abilities
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong organizational skills
Campaign Legal Center (CLC) is an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a nondiscriminatory work environment. CLC is proud to be an inclusive organization. It does not make hiring or advancement, or other employment decisions, based on race, national origin, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, familial status or responsibilities, personal appearance, pregnancy, political affiliation, ancestry, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, District of Columbia, or local law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment including, but not limited to, recruitment, selection, job assignment, compensation, promotion, termination, benefits, and training.
Disclaimer: This description is intended to provide an overview of this position and is not all inclusive. The incumbent in this position will be expected to perform other duties as required. Responsibilities may change over time. This description is provided for informational purposes only and does not form the basis of a contract.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-05-03