Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Manager, Strategic Communication & Public Affairs
The Senior Manager of Strategic Communication and Public Affairs supports communication efforts to advance and protect the positive public profile of the cruise industry and its license to operate by helping to develop and manage communication strategies that share the story of the industry’s commitment to and leadership in operating responsibly. Key areas of the role include drafting integrated internal and external communication plans on key initiatives, executive communication, managing and tracking communication results against preestablished objectives, as well as supporting message and content development, media relations, reputation management, crisis communication, speeches and presentations. In addition, the senior manager works closely with the Membership and Commercial team on messaging for events and supports the events team within Membership and Commercial on other aspects of events’ strategy and execution. In addition, this position manages the database of targeted media outlets and journalists.
Strategic Communication and Public Affairs
· Prepare and manage communication plans and handle stakeholder communication as directed.
· Support other members of the department to help manage the implementation of communication strategies and plans.
· Manage key content on the CLIA website and intranet (the “Bridge”) related to communication initiatives and messaging.
· Support engagement and communication with the CLIA Strategic Communication Committee to help keep them apprised of and seek their input and/or approval of CLIA’s communication strategies and positioning – scheduling meetings, conference calls and email communications.
· Work collaboratively with other departments and CLIA regional offices to ensure full integration of communication activities with the priorities of public affairs and government relations.
· Work closely with and develop solid working relationships with association members, partners and public affairs and communication staff to share information, plan strategies, coordinate tactical execution and prepare communication materials.
· Create presentations, write speeches and develop talking points for CLIA and association leadership.
· Write and prepare media materials and media kits, including releases, fact sheets and other background materials.
· Prepare media briefing materials to support media outreach efforts and prepare CLIA and board leadership for media opportunities.
· Manage tracking, analysis and reporting on the effectiveness of communication activities and media relations results/reports against pre-established objectives.
· Distribute industry coverage and other relevant news with internal and external stakeholders.
· Manage the planning, content collection, writing and editing of designated sections of the Travel and Cruise Magazine.
· Manage the development of the CLIA Currents newsletter.
· Manage the department editorial calendar.
· Support the production of the annual report and business plan as requested.
· Work with other members within and outside the department to manage the organization’s archives and milestones of success.
· Support the development of executive communication (speeches and presentations) and material for the organization’s speakers’ bureau (to be created).
· Create presentations, write speeches and develop talking points for CLIA and association leadership to support public affairs and strategic communication initiatives.
· Work with other members within and outside the department to produce companywide collateral (digital and print).
Conferences and Events
· Support the VP, Marketing and Events with the Membership and Commercial team, on CLIA events, including planning, execution and development of communication materials, onsite support, selecting speakers, producing event and speaker support materials, and supporting both pre- and post-event communication.
· Prepare event briefing books, including key messaging and background materials.
· Prepare materials for and coordinate request for proposals and procurement process for vendors sourced by the strategic communication team.
· Maintain contract files for department, including schedule, to ensure contracts are reviewed and updated by the legal department on a timely basis.
· Prepare procurement forms and related estimates, statements of work and other required documentation.
· Support the annual departmental budget process and monthly forecast submissions as well as monitor expenses to budget on an ongoing basis.
· Process invoices and track payments as needed.
Coordination across Departments
· Work with members within the President & CEO’s office to support activities and preparation of materials for CLIA Global Executive Committee and board of directors meetings and related communication.
· Function as a liaison with other departments and external customers.
· Participate in a variety of meetings and work groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and maintain specified level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements and policies.
Required Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in communication, public policy or related field. Advanced degree preferred.
· At least six years of job-related experience.
· Equivalent combination of education and experience with at least five years of experience in communication or a related field (or the equivalent combination of education and experience).
· Maritime, cruise, destination marketing and/or travel industry experience preferred.
· The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and compelling messages and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels.
· Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills.
· Detail oriented and strong organizational ability.
· The ability to create visually compelling presentations.
· Proven ability to think and lead strategically, while operating at the intersection of strategy and tactics.
· Strong record as a communication professional and trusted strategic advisor who can establish, develop and implement communication strategies and plans that deliver against clear objectives and goals to support an organization’s business objectives, mission and vision. Demonstrated experience as a relationship builder with the ability to “manage by influence.”
· Highly collaborative style with a sincere commitment to work with all constituent groups.
· Experience in a customer-focused capacity with ability to navigate complex organizations and interests and achieve consensus.
· High energy, maturity and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communication discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
· Self-starter with able to work independently or as part of a team to create and implement new initiatives.
· Ability to demonstrate personal character and integrity and maintain highly confidential information.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Adobe Acrobat.
· This position is based in our DC office as part of a hybrid work environment with 1-2 days in the office and 3-4 days remote. A 100% remote position will be considered for the right candidate.
· Fast paced, professional office environment with moderate noise levels.
· Must be able to use a computer at a workstation for extended periods of time and to accommodate potentially frequent interruptions.
· Ability to travel (approximately 15-20% of time or as needed over the course of the year).
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
CLIA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Job posted: 2023-05-01