Senior Manager, US Federal Government Relations
The Senior Manager, US Federal Government Relations leads Etsy’s public policy work in Washington, DC, positioning Etsy as a credible voice on micro-business and technology issues, and advancing our interests in the federal government.
Etsy is seeking an experienced professional to execute our US federal government relations strategy. You are an independent self-starter, and are just as comfortable developing high-level strategy as you are implementing nitty gritty campaign tactics. You are knowledgable in tech policy issues, and fluent in the federal policy process. You are passionate about the prospect of empowering the Etsy community as advocates for themselves, and using the power of business for good. This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC, and reports to the Global Head of Policy and Impact.
We advocate for public policies that enable global e-commerce, support creative entrepreneurship, and leverage the power of our example to champion economic empowerment, equity, and resilience. Our work is member-powered and mission-driven. We prioritize connecting Etsy sellers with the policy-makers that represent them, and advocate for collaborative policy solutions that leverage the power of the public and private sector to address our shared challenges.
You will join our small advocacy team, helping build Etsy’s unique, mission-driven approach to government relations. You will implement campaigns to advance our priority policy goals by connecting our seller community with policy-makers and working with diverse partners within and outside Etsy to strengthen our advocacy agenda, seeking innovative opportunities to use Etsy and our sellers’ experiences to frame relevant public debates on our priority issues.
You are a government relations professional with significant experience engaging at the federal level on technology policy and issues impacting the self-employed. You are deeply knowledgeable about the federal policy process and adept at influencing its outcome. You are an excellent communicator, and understand the political dynamics that surround effective campaign strategy.
Are you excited by the opportunity to advance Etsy’s mission in the public sphere, and willing to rethink traditional approaches to corporate government relations to accomplish our goals in a mission-aligned way? Let’s keep commerce human together.
About the Role
- Monitor public policy issues in Washington that could impact Etsy and our community, keeping relevant staff informed and involved as needed
- Recommend policy positions and external actions on a diverse array of federal policy issues, ranging from tech policy to the challenges facing micro-businesses
- Identify strategic targets and build relationships with government officials and allies to advance policy goals
- Organize and lead meetings between elected officials, Etsy staff, and the Etsy community
- Represent Etsy at meetings, events, conferences, and panels
- Support executive team engagement with the federal government, including drafting remarks, preparing briefing materials, and providing follow-up support
- Engage the Etsy seller community in policy campaigns and provide support to community-led initiatives
- You have 5+ years of experience working in government and public policy, and have a point of view on what makes effective campaigns succeed
- You have worked with a federal, state, or local government agency or organization
- You have expertise in issues affecting the technology sector and the self-employed (e.g. intermediary liability, privacy, trade, net neutrality, portable benefits, etc.)
- You have the ability to work independently, and to lead projects from conception to completion, often without additional support
- You are an exceptional writer, and can distill complex policy issues into simple explanations and compelling messages
- You are detail-oriented, with excellent organizational, prioritization and multi-tasking skills
- You exercise sound judgement and discretion
- You love building strong relationships with your teammates and have a willingness to jump into any task
- You have a passion for Etsy’s mission and empowering our community of sellers to advocate for themselves on issues they care about
- Bonus points if you are a maker yourself or have your own creative business
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your CV or resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-29