Senior Media & Public Engagement Manager
Plan works for girls’ rights. Harmful barriers like child marriage, human trafficking and gender-based violence are preventing girls and young women from achieving their full potential. Plan, along with government and private partners, fights against harmful gender norms and empowers young people to create positive change in their communities. We have worked in communities for more than 80 years and provide locally-driven programming through 240 offices around the world.
Plan International USA is fully committed to the safeguarding of all children and young people from all forms of violence.
We are looking for a motivated professional to join our Public Engagement & Advocacy (PE&A) team!
About the role
- You will build strong relationships with digital and mainstream media, focusing on outlets and reporters interested in international development, girls’ rights, and child protection.
- You will Identify and lead engagement with celebrities who are already or who may become interested in serving as Plan ambassadors. Coordinate within the PE&A team and with other teams to execute celebrity support for Plan campaigns.
- Develop and maintain crisis communications plan, working closely with other Plan teams and vendors to identify potential public relations concerns and draft response plans and materials
- Work with Plan communications staff at the Global Hub and within other Plan offices to coordinate campaigns and media outreach.
- Be constantly curious about everything that’s happening at Plan, seeking out new case studies; helping to prioritize competing stories and campaigns; and educating the team about what makes good news stories and how to get the media’s attention.
- Ensure that all media and public engagement activity is compliant with current legislation, including media regulations, photo permissions, etc.
- You have extensive experience of media management and using monitoring systems
- You’ve managed press relationships, journalists, and media requests. You are able to produce a portfolio showing range of experience.
- You have a strong track record of developing and running earned media and public relations campaigns to include creativity and idea generation.
- You have experience securing and preparing spokespersons for TV and radio interviews, including some personal experience of managing photo calls, high-profile visits, and media presence at events.
- You are flexibile, willing to work independently and as part of a team, with excellent organizational skills, the ability to meet deadlines, and management of a varied workload
- You have experience with coordinating and executing webinars with journalists and partners to facilitate virtual learning, raising Plan’s visibility.
- Bachelors’ degree
- Strong work experience in public relations in-house or within an agency, with demonstrated experience in media relations
- Strong writing, editing, and communication skills; strong skills in persuasion and ability to stay calm in difficult and stressful situations
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills with the ability to establish effective working relationships and make sound judgments. Experienced in handling highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Experience with new and digital media, internal or external client service capacity, and integrating traditional and social/new media campaigns
- Preference will be given to candidates with non-profit and/or international development experience and candidates with experience in celebrity engagement
Learn more here
Plan is an equal opportunity employer and follows all laws associated with the EEOC.
Job posted: 2020-09-14