Senior Media Relations and Outreach Coordinator (Job ID: 2021-2534)
Join one of the most influential, most quoted and most trusted think tanks!
The Brookings Institution is a nonprofit public policy organization based in Washington, DC. Our mission is to conduct in-depth research that leads to new ideas for solving problems facing society at the local, national and global level.
We bring together leading experts in government and academia from all over the world, rooted in open-minded inquiry and representing diverse points of view, who provide the highest quality research, policy recommendations, and analysis. Research topics cover a full range of public policy issues in economics, foreign policy, development, governance and metropolitan policy.
With fair and transparent business practices, clear communication, mutual respect, and a collaborative atmosphere that offers both professional and personal development opportunities, Brookings offers an inclusive and welcoming workplace that values the efforts of all contributors.
About Economic Studies: The Economic Studies program analyzes current and emerging economic issues facing the United States and the world and, based on that research, provides innovative, practical policy recommendations. ES’s work covers a broad array of economic issues, including the labor market, regulation, health policy, the environment, and fiscal and monetary policy. Economic Studies scholars influence key economic policies by conducting rigorous and relevant research and then disseminating and communicating their findings to the policy community and to the broader public.
Brookings welcomes and celebrates diversity in all its forms. We welcome applications that reflect a variety of backgrounds based on ideology, race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, and first generation college goers. Brookings is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Please note: This position is based in Brookings’ Washington, DC office. In response to COVID-19, Brookings staff are temporarily teleworking. The person hired for this position must be willing to move to or currently reside in Washington DC, Maryland, or Northern Virginia by their date of hire.
Ready to contribute to Brookings success?
The Senior Media Relations and Outreach Coordinator is responsible for supporting the Director of Communications in the development of the Economic Studies (ES) program’s media relations and stakeholder outreach strategies and the day-to-day implementation of those strategies. Using subject matter knowledge and editorial expertise, the Senior Media Relations and Outreach Coordinator develops frames and messages to promote ES research and events and maximize the impact of the program’s work.
Media Relations (60%)
- Works with the Communications Director to develop strategies for increasing coverage of ES research, experts, and events in support of the program’s impact goals; helps document strategies and establish benchmark goals as part of the ES communication team’s strategic planning process.
- Coordinates scholars’ media bookings and interviews. Routes incoming press calls and emails.
- In coordination with the Communications Director, works with ES research staff to develop strategies for elevating their media presence as desired.
- Builds target audiences through proactive media outreach and by establishing relationships with reporters from relevant publications.
- Consistently updates ES media lists to reflect editorial staff and beat changes.
- Identifies opportunities to react to breaking news and offer our experts for interviews and comments.
- Drafts press releases or media advisories where appropriate for the release of new research, books, or ES/Institutional announcements.
- Working with the Senior Events Manager and Communications Director, publicizes events to members of the media, driving awareness and capturing news made during events.
- Interacts with members of the media at public and private ES events; responds to questions and concerns with poise and professionalism.
- Works with the Digital Media Coordinator and Communications Director to monitor news trends on social media and develop strategies for promoting ES experts and their research where appropriate.
- Monitors print, online and broadcast media for coverage that includes mention of ES projects and experts.
- Produces a daily report on media coverage to share with ES scholars and staff.
Stakeholder Outreach (40%)
- Builds and maintains policymaker and other stakeholder lists for ES research priorities.
- Works with the Senior Events Manager to build stakeholder lists for ES events.
- In coordination with the Communications Director, works with scholars on outreach to key stakeholders on the Hill, in state and local government, the executive branch, financial and regulatory agencies, the business community, and other academics.
- Alongside the Communications Director and Digital Media Coordinator, develops framing and key messages to aid the promotion of ES research and events, helping to maximize their policy impact.
- Coordinate with Brookings Central Communications as needed to align ES stakeholder outreach and strategies with Institution-wide goals.
Ready to make an impact? In this role, you will support Brookings values of collegiality, respect, inclusion, diversity and community, and bring the following qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree required. Minimum three years of professional experience in communications setting required, preferably in a public relations agency, public affairs agency, or other political/policy environment, and at least two years required of related media relations and/or congressional outreach experience. Must have strong understanding of the modern media landscape and policy environment, experience developing and implementing strategies to elevate an organization’s media presence and strengthen stakeholder relationships, and experience using media databases such as Meltwater/Cision and contact management systems such as Leadership Connect. Must have strong interest or experience in economic policy issues and ability to translate dense, technical content for broader audiences. Must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S.
Basic knowledge of MS Word and strong Excel required; ability to learn database systems. Strong organization, high initiative, strong interpersonal skills, discretion, poise, mature judgment; ability to work in a fast-paced environment; articulate; strong writing skills preferred.
What can we offer you? Brookings provides a generous benefit package that is comprehensive and includes both traditional benefits and unique offerings.
Brookings requires that all applicants submit a cover letter and resume. Please attach your cover letter and resume as one document when you apply. Please note: if you have applied to more than one Brookings job opening you should add a position-specific cover letter as a separate attachment.
Successful completion of a background investigation is required for employment at Brookings.
Brookings welcomes and celebrates diversity in all its forms. We welcome applications that reflect a variety of backgrounds based on ideology, race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, first generation college goers, and other factors protected by law. Brookings is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-12